ufsdump verification on norewind tapes (was: Re: A Tape Backup Question )

ufsdump verification on norewind tapes (was: Re: A Tape Backup Question )

Post by Alexander Cer » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 23:43:55

Quote:> I use ufsdump regularly and dump about 10 --> 15 filesystems, consisting
> of incrementals and fulls, onto *1* 5GIG 8mm tape.  It is basically a foreach
> loop, but the only key is to use the norewind option (ie. /dev/rmt/0n instead
> of /dev/rmt/0).  Works like a charm.

Hello!  I'm using ufsdump this way too.  I'd like to ask if it's possible
to use the 'v' verify option.  My own answer is that it's not possible for
the norewind tape device file.  So, my next question is, how can one verify
a just ufsdump-ed set of tapes?  Will the 't' option of ufsrestore do what
I'd like to do?  Is this the only way I can do it?  Is there a simpler and
better way?

Thanks for all the help.

Alexander Cerna

> I know...not much help...just more questions.  :-)

> Peter Sivo
> Amdahl/Open Enterprise Systems

1. ufsdump verification on norewind tapes (was: Re: A Tape Backup

: > I use ufsdump regularly and dump about 10 --> 15 filesystems, consisting
: > of incrementals and fulls, onto *1* 5GIG 8mm tape.  It is basically a foreach
: > loop, but the only key is to use the norewind option (ie. /dev/rmt/0n instead
: > of /dev/rmt/0).  Works like a charm.

: Hello!  I'm using ufsdump this way too.  I'd like to ask if it's possible
: to use the 'v' verify option.  My own answer is that it's not possible for
: the norewind tape device file.  So, my next question is, how can one verify
: a just ufsdump-ed set of tapes?  Will the 't' option of ufsrestore do what
: I'd like to do?  Is this the only way I can do it?  Is there a simpler and
: better way?

: Thanks for all the help.

: Alexander Cerna

: > I know...not much help...just more questions.  :-)
: >
: > Peter Sivo
: > Amdahl/Open Enterprise Systems

The no-rewind and verify options work together for me on QIC and 4mm tapes.
Logically, there is no reason they shouldn't -- dump doesn't need to rewind
before a verify, just backspace to the previous tapemark then space forward
over it. See the options on mt, for instance. ... rb

2. X only works with ext monitor in my laptop (why?)

3. ufsdump (tape backup questions)

4. dvd ripping

5. Star tape size for multi tape backups question

6. Apache SSL on BSDI 2.0.1?

7. Tape backup verification using dd

8. Refresh /etc/hosts.deny?

9. Solaris ufsdump: only getting 5GB/tape with 8505XL drive and 160m tapes ...

10. tape-to-tape dup of ufsdump files

11. ufsdump tape density and size on Solaris 2.4 using a 14Gb 8mm tape drive

12. Problem with multi-tape backup using ufsdump

13. Norewind tape device for AIX?