How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?

How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?

Post by Lew LEW YAN VOO » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:46:23

Hello,

I would like to update my solaris 8 with recommended patches. In the
recommended patch cluster readme file, it is advised to backout older
version of the included patches before applying the new version.

The problem is that if you list the installed patches using: showrev -p,
you get 15 pages of installed patches. Also, there are 2 pages of patch
listing in the recommended patch cluster readme file. If you will have
to print and compare the two lists, it will take you several hours to
figure out the patches to backout.

Is there a quick way or a tool that allows one to quickly determine if
there is an older version of the patches to apply and eventually
automatically backing them out.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Lew
Laboratory LE2I
IUT Le Creusot
12 rue de la fonderie
71200 Le Creusot
FRANCE

How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?

Post by Chris Lawrenc » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:51:47

Quote:> Is there a quick way or a tool that allows one to quickly determine if
> there is an older version of the patches to apply and eventually
> automatically backing them out.

Would PatchManager be any use for managing this?  I've never tried it
myself.

  http://www.sun.com/service/support/sw_only/patchmanager.html
  https://sunsolve.sun.com/patchpro/patchpro.html

--
Regards,
Chris Lawrence

How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?

Post by Scott Howar » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:52:51

Quote:> I would like to update my solaris 8 with recommended patches. In the
> recommended patch cluster readme file, it is advised to backout older
> version of the included patches before applying the new version.

Not in quite as many words it doesn't.

Generally it's recommended that you NOT backout old patches before applying
the new patches.  If for no other reason, leaving the old patches there
will allow you to easily backout the new patches if you find a problem with
them, and go back to the existing version you have installed.

The only disadvantage of not backing out the patches is that they will
use up additional disk space, but unless you're working on a very small
disk this almost certainly isn't going to be a problem.

  Scott.

1. How to patch an already patched file?

Hello,
I didn't see any responses to this, so I'll try again.

I want to patch my kernel, but it's already patched with one or two extras.
The patches don't take if the files have already been touched once -i.e.
line nos. are different.

How do I make patch understand I want to patch a file a second time?

Rachel

 --
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia

         "When the revolution comes, I will be shot by both sides"

2. Mandrake msec package ignores local configuration

3. A patchy patch for Microsofts already patched-up Outlook

4. is this for real? - taken from comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc

5. PatchPro downloading already installed patches

6. Pattern matching-2

7. patchadd problems with lots of patches already installed

8. Pan-0.13.91 Released....

9. How to check for already installed patches?

10. Install a patch "cluster", can I removed older version of patches?

11. Problem installing patch after removing /var/sadm/patch dir

12. Large block device support: new 2.4 patch; new mailing list

13. List current patches installed