Visual Workshop Licensing

Post by Steve Doli » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone in this newsgroup licensed the Visual Workshop Product? Has
anyone felt the licensing procedure is somewhat outrageous (I have to
email or fax to SUN for a password).  On top of that, SUN ***Strongly***
recommends emailing in the license request as opposed to faxing it in or
calling it in.  (are they in the hunt for email addresses...hmmmmm).  Has
anyone else in this newsgroup found the licensing procedure annoying?

----The rest of this message is for the good people at Sun to chew on---

Attention SUN employees: if you are going to go through this hasslesome
softwrae licensing registration procedure, please make it such that I can
get a reply with the licensing information promptly.  I am very
non-plussed with paying lots of money for software and then having to wait
an extra day (at least a day, i have yet to receive the licensing file).

this hassle has greatly turned me off with respect to buying SunSoft
products and i will be a much more reluctant client in the future.

thanks for reading,
steve doliov

Visual Workshop Licensing

Post by Bryan Altha » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Has anyone in this newsgroup licensed the Visual Workshop Product?

YES, We have 4 licensed VWC++ setups.

: HAs anyone felt the licensing procedure is somewhat outrageous (I have to
: email or fax to SUN for a password).  On top of that, SUN ***Strongly***
: recommends emailing in the license request as opposed to faxing it in or
: calling it in.  (are they in the hunt for email addresses...hmmmmm).  Has
: anyone else in this newsgroup found the licensing procedure annoying?

You need a license for you specific machine or server, so *somehow* Sun
needs to know your hostid and machines name.  It's not that calling or
faxing this info in is a problem, its given you back the keys for the
product that's a problem.  In both cases FAXes and phone require you to
manually type in this information, leading to typos's etc.

The email way you just save the file, and give it to a lit or lit_tty and
your done.

Here's a part of our license file, do you want to type this in by hand?

DAEMON suntechd /etc/opt/licenses/suntechd /etc/opt/licenses/daemon_options
FEATURE sunpro.sw_teamware suntechd 1.000 01-jan-0 3 8BEA50A1E2B9220C191A ""
INCREMENT sunpro.common suntechd 0.000 01-jan-0 3 1BCA50913EAC5961A138 "0"
INCREMENT sunpro.sparcworks.tools suntechd 3.000 01-jan-0 3 2B8A80C12360105780F8 "0"
INCREMENT sunpro.mpmt suntechd 3.000 01-jan-0 3 5BCAE021C8FF598A451F "0"
INCREMENT sunpro.visu suntechd 1.000 01-jan-0 3 FB2AD021BDF8F7E6DE2A "0"
INCREMENT sunpro.c suntechd 4.000 01-jan-0 3 EB1A80B1A4488BB473F0 "0"
INCREMENT sunpro.cc suntechd 4.100 01-jan-0 3 AB7A405170A9FB3D216C "0"

: ----The rest of this message is for the good people at Sun to chew on---
:

Post by Mark C. Henders » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Attention SUN employees: if you are going to go through this hasslesome
>softwrae licensing registration procedure, please make it such that I can
>get a reply with the licensing information promptly.  I am very
>non-plussed with paying lots of money for software and then having to wait
>an extra day (at least a day, i have yet to receive the licensing file).

Many vendors are worse. Some vendors take several days to get you keys.
Even worse, some vendors will charge thousands of dollars to move
licences from one machine to another. Still, even worse, some vendors
have licence servers that are so broken as to make their products
barely usable and generally create a support headache.

At least the Sunsoft licence server (FLEXlm based) mostly works, and
Sunsoft is pretty reasonable about server changes. My general experience
is that one day turnaround for licence keys is probably better than
average.

I'm not defending or attacking the decision to include a licence server
in Workshop.  I'm just pointing out that with a lot of software
packages, things are much worse.
--

ViaCrypt PGP Key Fingerprint: 21 F6 AF 2B 6A 8A 0B E1  A1 2A 2A 06 4A D5 92 46
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/ - change-sun-hostid, unstrip for Solaris,

Visual Workshop Licensing

Post by John Ca » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone in this newsgroup licensed the Visual Workshop Product? Has
>anyone felt the licensing procedure is somewhat outrageous (I have to
>email or fax to SUN for a password).  On top of that, SUN ***Strongly***
>recommends emailing in the license request as opposed to faxing it in or
>calling it in.  (are they in the hunt for email addresses...hmmmmm).  Has
>anyone else in this newsgroup found the licensing procedure annoying?

When I made a request for the Sun compilers at work, it took a few weeks
to get the paperwork filled out to get the purchase approved.  The extra
time waiting for a license was relatively small.  Configuring the license
server turned out to be difficult in our environment but I have no
complaints about the procedure for getting a license key: Sun provides a
free 30 day trial of their compilers so we were up and running long before
we even had the official copy of the software.

Asking users to email license requests does not mean they are looking for
email addresses.  Using email it is not necessary for a human to transcribe
numbers and the chances of error are much reduced.

--

Visual Workshop Licensing

Post by Mark Detric » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Sun has made licensing about as easy as possible.  Too bad other things
are not so easy but that is another story.

Here is how...

Install the SW, get to the point where you need the license, call their
license support at Sun Service (800) USA-4-SUN, give them your info
(Product & Serial number) and they will email you the license file
immediately.  Run lit and use the email file you just received.  You are
done!  Less than a 1 day turn around more like 30 minutes, tops.
--
Mark Detrick
Detrick Internet Systems

Visual Workshop Licensing

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Sun has made licensing about as easy as possible.  Too bad other things
> are not so easy but that is another story.

[snip]

Quote:>  Less than a 1 day turn around more like 30 minutes, tops.

Crikey!!

Last time I wanted a license, I had to phone 3 times and email 3 times, plus I
had to get my Contract Rep at Sun to prod them along, and even then I got
e-mails back asking "what did you actually want?" from those nice licensing
people.

We had upgraded to new version of networker, and (of course it doesn't tell you
anywhere in the release notes) you need the update enabler before you start.  I
didn't have it, and this meant no backups for a week.

It doesn't help that I'm in the UK and can't 'phone the licensing people until
4PM.  The european licensing place "don't have the software to generate the
license keys".

It's OK for those in the 'States, but what about the rest of us?

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin in Scotland

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...
and almost certainly not those of Sun (who I admire very much, by the way -
except the licensing bit...)

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>