xdm, $DISPLAY, wtmp on Sol 2.3

Post by Henry Leparsk » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 21:39:36

Hi,
        Thanks for the responses to this. I should note that under 4.1.3
it wasn't quite the same setup, and I indeed never had trouble then.

Now, thanks to one of the kind respondees, here is what worked for
getting the proper DISPLAY variable, and then getting logged with wtmp.
This assumes that there is at least one person in the same boat, though
I'm sure many of the more knowledgeable managers would have figured this
out already.

I needed to do a few things.

First I had to learn about /usr/openwin/sessreg.
Following the man page, I made up Xstartup and and Xreset files.
Then I also changed the DisplayManager._0.authorize resource to
true. I would have thought this obvious, but on SUNOS 4.1, I had
it 'false'.
Here is the xdm-config file - I added the last two lines as well.

/usr/local/lib/X11/xdm> more xdm-config
DisplayManager.errorLogFile:    /var/adm/xdm-errors
DisplayManager.pidFile:         /var/adm/xdm-pid
DisplayManager.keyFile:         /var/adm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.servers:         /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
DisplayManager.accessFile:      /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager._0.authorize:    true
#DisplayManager._0.setup:       /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
DisplayManager*startup:         /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup
DisplayManager*reset:           /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xreset
DisplayManager*resources:       /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources
DisplayManager*session:         /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
DisplayManager*authComplain:    false
DisplayManager*daemonMode:      true
DisplayManager*removeDomainname: false

This last line is what had been screwing up the DISPLAY variable.
You see, if just left to its own devices (no pun intended) the Xsession
file used to give DISPLAY as something like avocet:0.0. ANd of course,
I could never get that script from Sun to work (the one you and I stepped
through a while ago).

The Xstartup file is

#!/bin/sh
#
# Xstartup
#
# This program is run as root after the user is verified
#
#/etc/xdm/printenv >> log.environ
#/usr/bin/tty >> log.environ
#/etc/xdm/wtmp_update $USER login $DISPLAY
/usr/openwin/bin/sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
$USER

while Xreset is;

#!/bin/sh
#
# Xreset
#
# This program is run at the end of a session
#
#/etc/xdm/printenv >> log.environ
#/usr/bin/tty >> log.environ
#/etc/xdm/wtmp_update $USER login $DISPLAY
/usr/openwin/bin/sessreg -d -l $DISPLAY -x  /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
$USER

and now, the Xservers file is empty, whereas I used to list all of the
xterms.

        pheeew.

                                Henry

1. Sol 2.3 to Sol 2.3 5/94 UPGRADE ?

Having a Sun 4 system running Solaris 2.3, I wondered
if one can do an upgrade to Solaris 2.3 Hardware version 5/94.

After setting up an install_server, booting and answering the
required questions the install program offered me an "Upgrade"
option.
Naturally I choose this one. But,....  the system doesn't actually
do an upgrade,... It only added SUNWbmac and SUNWaud... (or something
close to that)

Someone said:

Q. Is an "Upgrade" from Solaris 1.x/2.x to Solaris 2.3 Edition II
    offered?

 A. No.  Since Solaris 2.3 Edition II is a new, platform-specific release
 for the new SPARCstation 5, SPARCserver 5, and SPARCstation
    Voyager(TM) machines, there should be no need for "upgrades".

How should we interpret this ?

(Mind !!! If I remember correctly Solaris 2.3 Hardware version 5/94
is actually Edition III  Yes..3)

Is there an upgrade possible, but only from 2.2 to 2.3 (5/94) ?

The question that follows out the previous is ofcourse:
If you want to upgrade a system from the normal Solaris 2.3
(not Solaris 2.3 5/94) to Solaris 2.3 5/94, do you only have to install
the Maintenance Supplement CD ?

I'm puzzled and I guess I'm not the only one.

Any comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------
Robert Jansen
Computer Center VUB/ULB
Brussels
Belgium (Europe)
VUBnet

Tel:  +32-2-650.37.29
Secr: +32-2-650.37.38
Fax:  +32-2-650.37.40
--------------------------

2. Starting Apache off-line

3. sessreg/xdm wtmp problem, Solaris 2.3

4. i386-glibc20-linux help

5. Sol. 2.3, NIS+, xdm => You lost

6. trouble w/ 1.44M flpy

7. Q: Sol 2.3 - NIS + and XDM - they work ??

8. pcap performance

9. XDM on Sol 2.3 & Classic Xterms - how to get chooser working,or ANYTHING!

10. Q: Sol 2.3, xdm - xlock core dump; Sun Xterm chooser

11. Two Video Displays on a Sparc 10/Sol 2.3

12. SPARC 5, Sol 2.3.II, Error: Can't open display: :0.0 (HELP)

13. Upgrade from sol 2.3 to sol 2.4