Install only works if file is already there

Install only works if file is already there

Post by Stephen Ras » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:46:43

If I execute the following command:

        install -s -m 755 munpack /tmp

it will fail with the following error message:

        install: munpack was not found anywhere!

Now, if I do:

        touch /tmp/munpack

before I perform the above install command, it works fine.  It seems kind
of pointless to have an install program that won't instal a file that isn't
already there.

I am running this on Solaris 7.

--
...Stephen

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 16:02:51

|If I execute the following command:
|       install -s -m 755 munpack /tmp

Use /usr/ucb/install - /usr/sbin/install is not what you want.

1. I already RTFM, but am still having problems

Any hints will be greatly appreciated!

I have the following PC  --

        90 MHz Pentium
        Dolphin 8000 AT Series CD drive (supposedly Sony CDU31A compatible)
                with a port address of 340 (not 300)
        All-in-One Ethernet Card -- NE2000 compatible
        Diamond/Stealth 64 DRAM SVGA card
        AMI BIOS

Hmmm, what else?

I have tried to install Slackware 2.3, but am having the following troubles:

        1) CD drive not recognized; I've tried bootdisks CDU31A, NET and
        a couple of others, and the COLOR144 rootdisk.

        2) Sometimes (depending on the permutation of bootdisks), the system
        will freeze on booting -- I think this has to do with the NE2000
        (with an IO port of 300), but it may be that this has disappeared
        since I went to Slackware 2.3.  (I've been through a LOT of iterations
        with this.)  In any case, I can't get the network stuff to work, other
        than things like telneting to localhost.

        3) It's not obvious which parameters to use to configure the X system,
        but I really haven't gotten this far.

Some other info: I have a 1.2 GBytes disk which I'm using entirely for Linux --
it's in 4 partitions: a 200(?) Meg Linux native drive, to keep the cylinder
numbers low enough; a 20 Meg Linux swap partition; a 200(?) Meg partition
(DOS 16-bit) for the Linux distribution, since I can't read the CD; and a
800 (?) Meg drive which mounts under /usr.  There's bit of bitching and moaning
from fdisk (Partition xx does not start on a cylinder boundary), but all the
files seem to be accessible.

I know there's a file squirreled away someplace with a record of the last boot
on it, but I've forgotten where it lives.

There are very few people at Morse (where I bought the software), and even
fewer who speak clearly.  Can someone give me some clues?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Spraggins

P.S.  Please send e-mail, and I'll summarize

2. IPv6 address resolver missing in OpenBSD?

3. Am I already running?

4. FrameMaker on RS/6000?

5. problems with minicom? (thinks i am already online?)

6. Reload SCO server from Backup

7. installing other components once linux is already installed

8. pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

9. Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

10. problems, if installing linux if there is a Win NT4 is already installed?

11. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

12. Can't Install Ethernet Card after Linux is already Installed

13. How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?