Sparc network setup

Post by Ron Watki » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I just purchased a used SUN system from a re-seller which included a fresh
install of Solaris 2.5.1. They didn't aparently setup any of the networking
configurations however.
I don't have a graphical monitor for the system so I can't use answerbook and
there are no manual pages installed and I don't have any Solaris books.

Can anyone tell me how I might go about setting up the network connections
for the SUN?

I need to assign an IP, routing, gateway and use another box on the net for
DNS services. There are no current *.le0 files in the system under /etc.

(if it maters, im attempting to configure a 10baseT connection).

Please advise on how I can do this using nothing but a dumb terminal. Thanks,
                Ron Watkins

--
                Ron Watkins

Sparc network setup

Post by Soren Ragsdal » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I just purchased a used SUN system from a re-seller which included a fresh
: install of Solaris 2.5.1. They didn't aparently setup any of the networking
: configurations however.
: I don't have a graphical monitor for the system so I can't use answerbook and
: there are no manual pages installed and I don't have any Solaris books.

: Can anyone tell me how I might go about setting up the network connections
: for the SUN?

: I need to assign an IP, routing, gateway and use another box on the net for
: DNS services. There are no current *.le0 files in the system under /etc.

: (if it maters, im attempting to configure a 10baseT connection).

Having just figured most of this out recently, I invite more experienced
people to correct me where I'm mistaken:

You should designate your machine's name and associated IP in /etc/hosts.
Then, in /etc/hostname.hme0 you put the name that your machine is
designated with.  When solaris starts, it'll look at hostname.(interface)
and add the IP assocatied with the name in that file to the designated
interface.

Designating a gaeway is done with the route command.
route add default gatewayIP yourIP
I haven't found the "correct" place to add this line, so I've stuck it in
a file in /etc/rc2.d where it will get executed on startup.

Designating the DNS is in /etc/resolv.conf : this file contains other
things, but you can add a line "nameserver foo.bar.com" and it'll use that
as a nameserver.  Add as many of these lines as you want.  Make sure that
if it's a name and not an IP, you've got a name in /etc/hosts for it.

Lastly, make sure in /etc/nisswitch.conf you've got the hosts: line set to
"files dns" - this tells the resolver to check your files (/etc/hosts)
before checking the DNS.

--
In the long run, consumer sovereignty is simply far more profitable
than totalitarian oppression -<www.suck.com>

Sparc network setup

:
: You should designate your machine's name and associated IP in /etc/hosts.
: Then, in /etc/hostname.hme0 you put the name that your machine is
: designated with.  When solaris starts, it'll look at hostname.(interface)
: and add the IP assocatied with the name in that file to the designated
: interface.

I have seen hostname.hme0, hostname.le0 and hostname.pe0 (pretty sure about pe)
And you can add hostname.hme0:1, hostname.hme0:2... to add virtual interfaces
onto the machine. Just make sure there are entries in the hosts file.

:
: Designating a gaeway is done with the route command.
: route add default gatewayIP yourIP
: I haven't found the "correct" place to add this line, so I've stuck it in
: a file in /etc/rc2.d where it will get executed on startup.

create a file called defaultrouter under /etc and simply put the router's
IP address there... You may want to touch the file /etc/notrouter
look in /etc/rc2.d/S69inet to see the notrouter and defaultrouter stuff at
work.

:
: Designating the DNS is in /etc/resolv.conf : this file contains other
: things, but you can add a line "nameserver foo.bar.com" and it'll use that
: as a nameserver.  Add as many of these lines as you want.  Make sure that
: if it's a name and not an IP, you've got a name in /etc/hosts for it.

exactly.
:
: Lastly, make sure in /etc/nisswitch.conf you've got the hosts: line set to
: "files dns" - this tells the resolver to check your files (/etc/hosts)
: before checking the DNS.
:

I was told from a Sun guy to use:
hosts:          dns     files

but my ISP uses:
hosts:          files   dns

I would rather have all name queries point to the DNS first so that the machine
becomes loaded and I can legitimately request more CPU!!!! muahahahahahaha

Lyle

Sparc network setup

Post by Joe Novos » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I just purchased a used SUN system from a re-seller which included a fresh
: install of Solaris 2.5.1. They didn't aparently setup any of the networking
: configurations however.
: I don't have a graphical monitor for the system so I can't use answerbook and
: there are no manual pages installed and I don't have any Solaris books.

: Can anyone tell me how I might go about setting up the network connections
: for the SUN?

: I need to assign an IP, routing, gateway and use another box on the net for
: DNS services. There are no current *.le0 files in the system under /etc.

: (if it maters, im attempting to configure a 10baseT connection).

Along with what else was said, you could try the following from the solaris
faq. I also was in your situation.  I bought a headless Sparc 1+ with
2.5.1 freshly installed.  Note, that to run to config program, you will need
a GOOD terminal emulation program or a real terminal (I used vt320) connected
to your console serial port on the Sparc.  The setup program uses the
function keys of the terminal so your emulation package must support these.

------------------  From the solaris faq -----------------------
3.46) How do I change my hostname?

    The supported way to change your hostname is:

        # /usr/sbin/sys-unconfig

    The system will halt and on subsequent boot will ask for its name
    and other networking parameters again.

    You may wish to save a copy of /etc/nsswitch.conf beforehand as
    that file is overwritten by the configuration process.

    Note that sys-unconfig is not supported on diskless or dataless
    workstations.  On those, you'll need to edit files by hand.  See the
    sys-unconfig(1M) for a list of the files that need changing.

When you reboot the system, you will be prompted for all of your
network settings (with the exception of gateway)

In my case, I answered yes and said that I was on a subnet.  This will
allow you to set up a gateway and dns etc..

If you*it up, no problem.  Just unconfig again.

Again, check the other responses for manual configuration and minor
adjustments.

The hostname of the gateway machine is in /etc/defaultrouter

Hope this helps

--

This address may not be used for unsolicited email.

*****  Repeal the 16th amendment!! *****

1. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

I have a sparc 2 (40mhz...Weitek upgrade to 80 in some cases.. SBUS proprietary
slots)
Sparc 10 has proprietary SBUS slots but can take  2 processesors of  various
grades of
CPU(they must be identical) . Both of these designs are roughly 7+ years old.
Both
run SOLARIS  2.6 Both have I believe SCSI 2.  The ultrasparc is a single 300+
mhz (various grades) with standard PCI slots and maybe IDE drives...

Sincerely,

J.C. Magras

2. long wait trying to ftp to RH6.2 host

3. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

4. Zoom Modem and FreeBSD/Linux

5. Firewall setup - ?network setup during installation

6. Asus P2bs

7. Network setup problem with Redhat 6.1 -- "network unreachable"

8. /etc etymology

9. Network setup - How to add network support after install

10. Setup sendmail for local home-network AND uucp global network

11. Non-networked & networked Solaris x86 setup?

12. Network setup if no network...

13. Cluster Setup - private network with NFS homeareas on another Network ?