gcc package installation problem on Solaris 7 x86

gcc package installation problem on Solaris 7 x86

Post by Bernard Perri » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I tried to install gcc-2.8.1 with pkgadd on my machine
but got:
WARNING:

  The / filesystem has 0 free blocks. The current installation
requires 152 blocks, which includes a required 150 block buffer
for open deleted files. 152 more blocks are needed.

So I saved some disk space, moving shlib under another disk
partition (/opt) and created a soft link from root.

I tried pkgadd again but got exactly the same warning. I decided
then to check the disk space:

% df -k
Filesystem      kbytes   used  avail  capacity
/dev/dsk/c0d0s0  55727  25914  24241       52%

I then decided to move platform too and create another soft link.
After I got:

 % df -k
Filesystem      kbytes   used  avail  capacity
/dev/dsk/c0d0s0  55727  23908  26247       48%

So more than 152 blocks has been freed. I tried for the third
time pkgadd and still got the warning with 152 blocks.

Could someone explain to me the problem? At the begining of the
installation, it is said that /usr/local is used and this is
another disk partition (/dev/dsk/c0d0s6) which has 132534K free.
During the pkgadd warning, the / is effectively full. Who
is using it and what is the disk space that I have to keep
free in root?

Thanks for your help.

Bernard

gcc package installation problem on Solaris 7 x86

Post by Steve Christens » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

As is stated in the instruction links on sunfreeware.com, the pkgadd program
uses the /var/tmp and /var/spool/pkg directories.   You need to add space
to these.  There are several ways to do this that are discussed in the
Downloading/Installation and FAQ links at the sunfreeware.com site.

If you have questions about packages on sunfreeware.com or one of its mirror
sites, email me.

Steve Christensen
sunfreeware.com