PPP Dial-in setup On Solaris 9 OE

Post by Hasmukh Daj » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:20:10

Hi,

I am running Solaris 9 on my Ultra 5/10 system at home. I have already set
up the modem on this system to be able to dial in and telnet remotely.
However I would like set  up PPP-dialin, so that I can open up multiple
telnet session when working remotely.

I do realize that I will have to set up a user for PPP log-in as well an IP
address to return back and start PPP daemon service.
I probably have already done all of these fundamental steps. But when I
tried to start "apppd" daemon, it says it started with a PID ID.
I cannot see it in the process table, nor can i query it ps -t <PID-ID>.

It just does not show the PID running.

Would appreciate if one can help me through the procedural steps or tell me
what I am doing right.
I have successfully set this up on other Unix platforms, and it works.

Hasmukh Daji

PPP Dial-in setup On Solaris 9 OE

Post by Yuki Ari » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:46:18

Hi,

You may try http://www.kempston.net

Cheers

Yuki

Quote:> Hi,

> I am running Solaris 9 on my Ultra 5/10 system at home. I have already set
> up the modem on this system to be able to dial in and telnet remotely.
> However I would like set  up PPP-dialin, so that I can open up multiple
> telnet session when working remotely.

> I do realize that I will have to set up a user for PPP log-in as well an
IP
> address to return back and start PPP daemon service.
> I probably have already done all of these fundamental steps. But when I
> tried to start "apppd" daemon, it says it started with a PID ID.
> I cannot see it in the process table, nor can i query it ps -t <PID-ID>.

> It just does not show the PID running.

> Would appreciate if one can help me through the procedural steps or tell
me
> what I am doing right.
> I have successfully set this up on other Unix platforms, and it works.

> Hasmukh Daji

PPP Dial-in setup On Solaris 9 OE

Post by Hasmukh Daj » Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:24:03

Thanks a bunch and much appreciated.

Hasmukh Daji

> Hi,

> You may try http://www.kempston.net

> Cheers

> Yuki

> > Hi,

> > I am running Solaris 9 on my Ultra 5/10 system at home. I have already
set
> > up the modem on this system to be able to dial in and telnet remotely.
> > However I would like set  up PPP-dialin, so that I can open up multiple
> > telnet session when working remotely.

> > I do realize that I will have to set up a user for PPP log-in as well an
> IP
> > address to return back and start PPP daemon service.
> > I probably have already done all of these fundamental steps. But when I
> > tried to start "apppd" daemon, it says it started with a PID ID.
> > I cannot see it in the process table, nor can i query it ps -t <PID-ID>.

> > It just does not show the PID running.

> > Would appreciate if one can help me through the procedural steps or tell
> me
> > what I am doing right.
> > I have successfully set this up on other Unix platforms, and it works.

> > Hasmukh Daji

PPP Dial-in setup On Solaris 9 OE

Post by G. Lo » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:47:46

Quote:>The link below...
> You may try http://www.kempston.net

Is very good if U wanna set aspppd on sol8, but Sol9 doesn't have aspppd
anymore, but pppd...!

BTW, the Sol8 aspppd pkgs DO WORK on Sol9....! if U install them from Sol8
to Sol9 using pkgadd...!

Cheers!

Georgie

PPP Dial-in setup On Solaris 9 OE

Post by ML Starke » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:54:24

Quote:> Is very good if U wanna set aspppd on sol8, but Sol9 doesn't have aspppd
> anymore, but pppd...!

> BTW, the Sol8 aspppd pkgs DO WORK on Sol9....! if U install them from Sol8
> to Sol9 using pkgadd...!

Perhaps, but that sort of setup won't be supported by Sun, if that matters to you.

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 01:45:11

>> Is very good if U wanna set aspppd on sol8, but Sol9 doesn't have aspppd
>> anymore, but pppd...!

>> BTW, the Sol8 aspppd pkgs DO WORK on Sol9....! if U install them from Sol8
>> to Sol9 using pkgadd...!

>Perhaps, but that sort of setup won't be supported by Sun, if that
>matters to you.

Not only that, but it's pretty foolish to downgrade the PPP software
like that.  The pppd included with Solaris 9 is much, much more
capable than the tired old asppp.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.