UID

Post by 7rob.. » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Running Solaris on a stand alone server w/o DNS, when adding
users/groups.  I notice that for some of those users when I go in and
attempt to change their password.
#(passwd username)

I receive a message that says:
passwd(SYSTEM): username does not exist
Permission Denied

What's the cause and the solution to this problem.

p.s.
I can su - username (no problem)
telnet using username (no problem)
su username then su - username (no problem)
whoami (no problem)
However I continue to receive this message.

Thanks in advance
Rob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

UID

Post by saa.. » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Running Solaris on a stand alone server w/o DNS, when adding
> users/groups.  I notice that for some of those users when I go in and
> attempt to change their password.
> #(passwd username)

> I receive a message that says:
> passwd(SYSTEM): username does not exist
> Permission Denied

> What's the cause and the solution to this problem.

> p.s.
> I can su - username (no problem)
> telnet using username (no problem)
> su username then su - username (no problem)
> whoami (no problem)
> However I continue to receive this message.

> Thanks in advance
> Rob

Are these accounts also in /etc/shadow?

SEAN

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

UID

Post by 7rob.. » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > Running Solaris on a stand alone server w/o DNS, when adding
> > users/groups.  I notice that for some of those users when I go in
and
> > attempt to change their password.
> > #(passwd username)

> > I receive a message that says:
> > passwd(SYSTEM): username does not exist
> > Permission Denied

> > What's the cause and the solution to this problem.

> > p.s.
> > I can su - username (no problem)
> > telnet using username (no problem)
> > su username then su - username (no problem)
> > whoami (no problem)
> > However I continue to receive this message.

> > Thanks in advance
> > Rob

> Are these accounts also in /etc/shadow?

> SEAN

Yes these are consecutive accounts all found near the bottom of both
the /etc/shadow as well as the /etc/password files.

Rob

Quote:

Post by Russ Allber » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Running Solaris on a stand alone server w/o DNS, when adding
> users/groups.  I notice that for some of those users when I go in and
> attempt to change their password.  #(passwd username)
> I receive a message that says:
> passwd(SYSTEM): username does not exist
> Permission Denied
> What's the cause and the solution to this problem.

Are you using shadow passwords?  If so, has their password migrated into
/etc/shadow?  If not, try running pwconv and see if that doesn't do it.

--

UID

Post by Peter Sundstro » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Do you have NIS or NIS+ running?

Quote:>Running Solaris on a stand alone server w/o DNS, when adding
>users/groups.  I notice that for some of those users when I go in and
>attempt to change their password.
>#(passwd username)

>I receive a message that says:
>passwd(SYSTEM): username does not exist
>Permission Denied

>What's the cause and the solution to this problem.

>p.s.
>I can su - username (no problem)
>telnet using username (no problem)
>su username then su - username (no problem)
>whoami (no problem)
>However I continue to receive this message.

>Thanks in advance
>Rob

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

UID

Post by 7rob.. » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Do you have NIS or NIS+ running?

No I don't, I'm actually trying to get that point very soon.

Rob

> >Running Solaris on a stand alone server w/o DNS, when adding
> >users/groups.  I notice that for some of those users when I go in and
> >attempt to change their password.
> >#(passwd username)

> >I receive a message that says:
> >passwd(SYSTEM): username does not exist
> >Permission Denied

> >What's the cause and the solution to this problem.

> >p.s.
> >I can su - username (no problem)
> >telnet using username (no problem)
> >su username then su - username (no problem)
> >whoami (no problem)
> >However I continue to receive this message.

> >Thanks in advance
> >Rob

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

UID

Post by 7rob.. » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Thanks you!!!!
A new day, a new lesson learned.

(#pwconv) worked like magic.
My actual problem was that I had empty lines in my /etc/passwd file
which was prohibiting me from updating my /etc/shadow file.

When I ran pwconv it referenced those lines.  I made the change, ran
pwconv once again and everything ran smoothly.

Regards,
Rob

> > Running Solaris on a stand alone server w/o DNS, when adding
> > users/groups.  I notice that for some of those users when I go in
and
> > attempt to change their password.  #(passwd username)

> > I receive a message that says:
> > passwd(SYSTEM): username does not exist
> > Permission Denied

> > What's the cause and the solution to this problem.

> Are you using shadow passwords?  If so, has their password migrated
into
> /etc/shadow?  If not, try running pwconv and see if that doesn't do
it.

> --

<URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. UID / effective UID problem

Hi,

Consider a user U, programs A which is set-uid A, program B is set-uid B.
U, A, and B are all simple mortals. No root-privilege.

Now, U calls A. As part of it's job, A fork/execs B. U should not need to
know that B is involved.

So we have

            real UID       effective UID   saved-set-UID
U's shell       U               U               U

program A       U               A               A

program B       U               B               B

A 'knows' its user U calling, and can check his credentials in , say, A.allow.
I want B to be able to authorize A using it's B.allow. But it can't! It can't
tell that its being called by A.
It does know the original caller was U, but in my situation that's irrelevant.

So, I studied Steven's 'Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment', section
8.10. to find out that BSD has a setreuid(), which can swap the real and
effective uid.
All other calls don't seem to help in this particular problem.

Now it looks like this:

            real UID       effective UID   saved-set-UID
U's shell       U               U               U

program A       U               A               A
  setreuid(..)  A               U               A

program B       A               B               B

That's exactly what I want! B can now whether A has the right to call B.
U is no longer visible!

Great. But *sigh*, it's not in XPG4, which is our portability goal.

So here's the question:
How can B tell it's A calling, using stuff available in Xopen XPG4 ??

Any hints are very much appreciated!

--

Ideta, 6 Frankemaheerd, 1102 AN Amsterdam, the Netherlands
My opinions are my own, not necessarily my boss's.

2. Trying to put a file with Apache and the HTTP 1.1 protocol

3. User Ids (uid) > 65k or 32 bits uids

4. Cannot Start CDE, Plz help!

5. effective UID vs. Real UID with su - problem

6. troubles with a QMS1600 printer

7. setuid to a non-root uid for both effective&real uid

8. Promise Fasttrack TX2 100

9. Changing the UID of php engine process

10. Root's UID and GID

11. need help modify UID for one existant user

12. How to Get Peer Process's uid

13. HPUX - set GID and UID?