Solaris8 and Netscape 6.0 - Unknown host

Solaris8 and Netscape 6.0 - Unknown host

Post by Moshlu » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 02:45:40

I got Solaris 8 (Intel Platform - 7/01) installed successfully on an NT 4.0
domain.  The usual networking components are configured, (TCP/IP, nodename,
hosts file, defaultrouter, defaultdomain etc.).  DNS and WINS are running on an
NT server.  Get an "Unknown hostname" error when try to browse the Internet by
name.  However, if you type in the IP address of the site you can get there just
fine.  I think this is a DNS issue, but I couldn't figure out how or where to
configure the Solaris client.  Please help.

-moshlub

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:46:13

> I got Solaris 8 (Intel Platform - 7/01) installed successfully on an NT 4.0
> domain.  The usual networking components are configured, (TCP/IP, nodename,
> hosts file, defaultrouter, defaultdomain etc.).  DNS and WINS are running on an
> NT server.  Get an "Unknown hostname" error when try to browse the Internet by
> name.  However, if you type in the IP address of the site you can get there just
> fine.  I think this is a DNS issue, but I couldn't figure out how or where to
> configure the Solaris client.  Please help.

> -moshlub

the dns stuff goes in: /etc/resolv.conf
a minimal /etc/resolv.conf vould look like this:
nameserver 10.0.0.1
search my.domain.org