How to access Windows NT server and windows based PC

How to access Windows NT server and windows based PC

Post by siny » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
    My PC running Sun Solaris 2.6 is connected to the network in which
many other PCs running Windows NT or 95. This network is a Intranet. I
want to access many resources shared by other NT or 95 based PCs.  What
do I need and How should I do?
    I have a windows nt domain username and password,but how can I use
them. Whether can I login onto
a NT server  from a Sun Solaris machine?
    Thank you in advance.

How to access Windows NT server and windows based PC

Post by Neil Corlet » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Have a look at this. It is related to Samba.

http://www.obdev.at/Products/Sharity.html

Cheers,

N.

> Hello,
>     My PC running Sun Solaris 2.6 is connected to the network in which
> many other PCs running Windows NT or 95. This network is a Intranet. I
> want to access many resources shared by other NT or 95 based PCs.  What
> do I need and How should I do?
>     I have a windows nt domain username and password,but how can I use
> them. Whether can I login onto
> a NT server  from a Sun Solaris machine?
>     Thank you in advance.

  neil.corlett.vcf
1K Download

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

|    My PC running Sun Solaris 2.6 is connected to the network in which
|many other PCs running Windows NT or 95. This network is a Intranet. I
|want to access many resources shared by other NT or 95 based PCs.  What
|do I need and How should I do?

Samba's smbclient and/or Sharity should be able to help you.

How to access Windows NT server and windows based PC

Post by Mason » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:Neil Corlett wrote...

>Have a look at this. It is related to Samba.

>http://www.obdev.at/Products/Sharity.html

I installed sharity on my Solaris box; but running cifsmount
(attempt to mount my share dir on my NT4 box) got a connection refused
error.

Do I need any server running on the NT4 side.
There is no sharity server on NT4 available, nor can I found Samba NT4
executables on Samba's web sites.

Am I missing something?

Post by Mason » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Make sure your using Samba 2.0, test the NT4 buy mounting the unix file
>system first.  You don't need Samba on the NT box, it uses smb/netbios.  I'm
>inclined to guess that the NT box hasn't had tcp setup correctly or
>something is preventing the connection to port 138.   Still it looks to
>be more of an NT problem.

Thanks Bob for the info.

I tried using smbclient (Version 2.1.0-prealpha) on my Solaris box to
backup my share drive on my NT4 box, everything OK.

But same problem with cifsmount -- even using similar syntax.

smbclient \\\\MYPC\\MYSHARE -U username_on_NT4 -TcI mybackup.tar nt4_dir
  -- OK

cifsmount \\\\MYPC\\MYSHARE mount_pt_on_unix -U username_on_NT4
Remote user username_on_NT4's password: <-- password entered
Connecting Server: UNIX: Connection refused

It seemed that smbclient authenticate my NT4 box OK.
I had started the sharity daemon as root.
/usr/local/sharity/init.d/sharity start

Any more clue?

Post by Mason » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Sharity uses DNS to resolve hostnames. If your NT server can't be resolved
>via DNS, you need an entry in /etc/hosts for it or you must specify the IP
>address on the commandline of cifsmount.

I don't think it's an DNS issue, 'cause nslookup on my Solaris can resolve
my NT4 host. I tried also with the I.P. option on cifsmount too (as well
as many different combinations) with no luck.