Cannot log in from console

Post by William S. Hay » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I can access the machine in question using telnet.

When it boots up, after the booting process ends it
starts giving the following message about 10 times
over:

set_termio: get_ttymode failed, errno = 22
set final termio failed

followed once by:

INIT:  Command spawning too rapidly.  Check for possible errors.
id: co "/usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -h -p "'uname -n' console login: "
-T sun -d /dev/console -l console -m ldterm,ttcompat

After a while, a day or so, it starts allowing physical logins
until I have to reboot it for something.

Anybody have any idea what's required to fix it?

Thanks!

Cannot log in from console

Post by John S. Cron » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Here is what I was able to get off the net.

----------------
RDB ID: 12593

SYNOPSIS: Never get login prompt on dumb terminal console

DETAIL DESCRIPTION:

Upon rebooting a system that has a dumb terminal as
console, the login prompt is never given.  The following
message displayed on console :

init command respawning too rapidly

set_termio: get_ttymode failed,  errno=9
set final termio failed
  :

This message repeats for about 10 to 12 times and then
the "init command .." error is displayed again.

SOLUTION SUMMARY:

In this particular case, the /etc/ioctl.syscon file was
corrupted.  Once this file was fixed, the system booted
up fine and login was displayed on the console.

A copy of this file can be obtained from the Solaris cd
that was used to install the system.  From the following
directory on the Solaris cd :

Solaris_2.x/SUNWcsr/reloc/etc

PRODUCT AREA: System Administration
PRODUCT: Device config
SUNOS RELEASE: Solaris 2.x
HARDWARE: any
I tried to search the new official archive, the articles produced
by searching seemed to have NO relevance to ANY word I typed in
as a key word.  I even read the help.  :(

A search of dejanews produced only your post, and one from France.
I don't read much French, but if it's any consolation it sounds
like there is somebody in France that is having the EXACT same
problem you have.

------------------

Quote:> I can access the machine in question using telnet.

--
John S. Cronin                             phone: (404) 894-6164
Office of Information Technology Operations and Engineering 0715

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. Cannot increase resolution in X

3. SERIOUS PROBLEM: syslogd: cannot register to log console messages

4. Print out of order in Solaris 8

5. cannot log in on console

6. Cirrus CL-GD6440 and CNT65535 with XFree2.1.1

7. "*FvwmTaskBar: cannot open console" Console?? Why??

8. Out of INODES

9. System logging going to console not log file

10. Cannot log in as root AND cannot run xterm as user...

11. netfilter LOG target logging to the console

12. logging cannot access log

13. Weird: Cannot save in kde, but at console prompt