Problems with non-Sun IDE-Disk in U10

Post by guba.. » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have problems to run a non-Sun IDE-Disk in an U10 running Solaris 7.
It is a Flash-RAM-Disk from SanDisk (100% IDE compatible, capable of
LBA mode). This disks runs fine in a PC with Linux or NT. However if I
put it in a U10, things go wrong. The disk is recognized in the boot
monitor (probe-ide), but the U10 won't boot with the SanDisk attached
(as primary slave or primary master) neither from CD nor from the root
disk (if present). The kernal is loaded but then I get the error
message:

Can't assemble the driver for the root device ......
Can't mount root file system ....

The device is the boot device (e.g. disk0 or CDROM)from which the kernel
was successfully loaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Bernhard Gubanka

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I have problems to run a non-Sun IDE-Disk in an U10 running Solaris 7.
>It is a Flash-RAM-Disk from SanDisk (100% IDE compatible, capable of
>LBA mode). This disks runs fine in a PC with Linux or NT. However if I
>put it in a U10, things go wrong. The disk is recognized in the boot
>monitor (probe-ide), but the U10 won't boot with the SanDisk attached
>(as primary slave or primary master) neither from CD nor from the root
>disk (if present). ...

You should first try to mount it as a NON-root device.
If you can't do that, then forget about booting from it.

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. Problem booting from Non-Sun Disk on Solaris 2.3

Hi Folks,

I just tried to install Solaris 2.3 on a SS1+ on a Seagate Barracuda (2.1GB)
drive. The system is able to install all the software and filesystems, but
I cannot boot from that drive. The drive is accessible (can mount all the
file systems from another drive), but whenever I attempt to boot from it
it fails at the eeprom level saying that the scsi device is not responding.
I have labeled the disk as a Sun2.1GB disk.

Has anyone been able to boot from a non-sun drive? Any tips would be helpfull.

Please reply to the below email address as I will be losing my account here
very soon.

Thanks for your help,

Suresh Daswani

2. pthreads library

3. How to see all of a 45 GB ide disk on an U10 running Solaris 7?

4. wireless lan and dialup problem

5. Ultra 5/10 and non-SUN IDE drives

6. TCPIP Socket available ?

7. scsi disk non-Sun on sparc machine?

8. NVdriver module not compiling on MDK 9.0 final

9. Buying non SUN disks for SUN systems

10. non sun disks and sun support contract.

11. Connecting a non-SUN video monitor to a Sun SparcStation

12. Is there any HOWTO's to use non-SUN hardrives in a Sun server?

13. SUN Internet mail and non-Sun LDAP