DHCP on solaris 2.7 - - I am stumped.

Post by Grumblefo » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 10:34:15

I have tried to configure my box for dhcp.

I am on a cable modem and my IP's were just swept.  I was on a Static
address until now.
I must figure out how to get my 2.7 box back up.  My windoz boxes are
now working ok.  I had to
dhcp them and then my Statics worked again.

I get the errors:
Can't bind to socket.  Segmentation fault.
Can't bind ot socket.  Host name ****

I have created resolv.conf which has
domain ***.***.home.com
nameserver 24.4.112.33
nameserver 24.4.112.34

Hostname.le0 has
(my hostname)

My nsswitch.conf has
hosts: files dns

dhcp.le0 has
primary
wait 300

I have gone to the rite site and looked at his config.  I tried to do
what he says and
it didn't work properly.  What am I doing wrong???

Thanks for help.  Joe G.

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:39:40

> I have gone to the rite site and looked at his config.  I tried to do
> what he says and
> it didn't work properly.  What am I doing wrong???

Some cable provider insist that you supply their "hostname"
as part of the authentication process.  It could be that this
is your problem.  (Yes, I really must get round to updating my
page!)

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

DHCP on solaris 2.7 - - I am stumped.

Post by Grumblefo » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:05:04

Thanks, your info was indeed helpful.  I am using the correct
"hostname".  I just didn't want to put it here.  So this is not the
problem.  I am indeed still stumped.  This is my primary ftp server and
I need to get the thing back on line.  any more suggestions?

Joe G.

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:57:16

> Thanks, your info was indeed helpful.  I am using the correct
> "hostname".  I just didn't want to put it here.  So this is not the
> problem.  I am indeed still stumped.  This is my primary ftp server and
> I need to get the thing back on line.  any more suggestions?

I can't remember from your previous post: what's your exact problem?
Are you being assigned a DHCP address, or is it not even getting that
far?

What does ifconfig -a say?

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

DHCP on solaris 2.7 - - I am stumped.

Post by Grumblefo » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:09:02

I never get an IP.  Please look at this info.
I get the errors:
Can't bind to socket.  Segmentation fault.
Can't bind ot socket.  Host name ****

I have created resolv.conf which has
domain ***.***.home.com
nameserver 24.4.112.33
nameserver 24.4.112.34

Hostname.le0 has
(my hostname)

My nsswitch.conf has
hosts: files dns

dhcp.le0 has
primary
wait 300

IFconfig has my static address still in it.
So, should I remove the IP address from the host table?

Thanks,

Joe G.

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 02:11:15

> I never get an IP.  Please look at this info.
> I get the errors:
> Can't bind to socket.  Segmentation fault.
> Can't bind ot socket.  Host name ****

> I have created resolv.conf which has
> domain ***.***.home.com
> nameserver 24.4.112.33
> nameserver 24.4.112.34

> Hostname.le0 has
> (my hostname)

Ah, that's at least part of your problem.  /etc/hostname.le0
should be empty when you're using DHCP.

Quote:> My nsswitch.conf has
> hosts: files dns

> dhcp.le0 has
> primary
> wait 300

That should be OK.

Quote:> IFconfig has my static address still in it.
> So, should I remove the IP address from the host table?

Yep.  The machine I use as my gateway has two interfaces:

is connected to my internal switch.  The machine is called
slave, and slave's IP address is in /etc/hosts; I use private
IP addresses internally.

HTH,

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

DHCP on solaris 2.7 - - I am stumped.

Post by Grumblefo » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 03:23:37

I did what you recommended.  Here is what happened.
First, it came up with a "link down" message.  Then it came up with
Segmentation fault.
Then it basically went back to not connecting and same old same old.
Man, I am hitting the wall.  I have tried everything I could.  I have
been all over the man pages, but as usual, they are very criptic.

Any other suggestions?  Or am I hosed?  Damn cable company!

By the way, thank you for the help.  I haven't been getting much help
anywhere else.

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:14:12

> I did what you recommended.  Here is what happened.
> First, it came up with a "link down" message.  Then it came up with
> Segmentation fault.

I think the link down message is normal for a little while (it's been
a LONG time since I last watched my gateway boot!), but the SIGSEGV is
interesting.  I take it your fairly up to date with patches?

Quote:> Then it basically went back to not connecting and same old same old.
> Man, I am hitting the wall.  I have tried everything I could.  I have
> been all over the man pages, but as usual, they are very criptic.

> Any other suggestions?  Or am I hosed?  Damn cable company!

One thing does come to mind.  Does your cable company expect you to use
PPPoE?  If that's the case, I don't think Solaris supports it, and the
best that you can do is get one of those Netgear ADSL/Cable router boxes,
and use THAT as your gateway.

Quote:> By the way, thank you for the help.  I haven't been getting much help
> anywhere else.

No probs; I'd be even happier if we fixed it!

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Philip Bro » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:11:34

>One thing does come to mind.  Does your cable company expect you to use
>PPPoE?  If that's the case, I don't think Solaris supports it,

actually, you can use 'roaring penguin' PPPoE, with freePPP.
see old postings.

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. Solaris 2.7 need to disable a driver and I am not sure how.

Anyone,

I have a driver for an Emulex Card which is used to control access to my EMC
fiber array.

I need to disable this driver to troubleshoot a problem this host is having.

When I installed the host, I used pkgadd to install the software for the
card.  I don't want remove the software, just disable it so that it doesn't
bring the fiber channel online.

The driver is initialized prior to the init phase.

I know there are some entry's in the system file for this driver and of
couse some in /kernel/drv

I commented out the entries in the system file and the system didn't like it
to much.  Basicly it crashed.

I wasn't sure if I need to remove/rename the files in /kernel/drv

Any ideas of what to do?

Thanks in advance,

Linda

2. struct size ?

3. I am installing Solaris 2.7 on an Dell Dimension XPSR450?

4. excluding files from tar creation using wildcards

5. DHCP and solaris 2.7

6. Compiling 64-bit code with gcc

7. Help Configuring DHCP Server for Solaris 2.7

8. Linux/Pinnacle Micro RCD-1000

9. can I install ab Solaris 2.5 to Solaris 2.7 x86

10. DHCP Server 2.6 fails, 2.7 works

11. Jumpstart for Solaris 2.5.1 versus Solaris 2.6, 2.7, 2.8

12. Can you change a HOSTID on Solaris 2.7 & Solaris 8???

13. solaris 2.7 or solaris 2.5.1