Good (cheap) DB for Cold Fusion under Solaris?

Good (cheap) DB for Cold Fusion under Solaris?

Post by Prentiss Ridd » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

This has got to be a frequently asked question, but I can't find a
canned answer anyplace, so it here it comes again:

What affordable database solutions are recommended for use with Cold
Fusion for Solaris?

After some digging on the Allaire website I found the following note on
database compatibility in the forthcoming CF 4.0 release (see
http://www.allaire.com/documents/cf4/CF40Saleskit.zip):

    ColdFusion uses 32-bit ODBC drivers to communicate with a
    wide variety of relational database systems. ColdFusion Server
    for Solaris uses ODBC to connect to databases. It ships with
    latest Intersolv ODBC database drivers version 3.11 for UNIX:
        - DB2
        - DBASE
        - FoxPro
        - Informix
        - OpenIngres
        - Oracle
        - Sybase SQL Server
        - Sybase System 10,11
        - Text Files

    ColdFusion includes native database drivers for the following
    databases:
        - Oracle 7.3 - requires Oracle 7.3.3 client
        - Oracle 8.0 - requires Oracle 8.0.4.0.0 client
        - Sybase System 11 - requires Sybase 11.1.1 client libraries
          (Sybase patch ebf7729 is recommended)

Anybody know what that currently translates into in terms of specific
recommendations of good, *affordable* DB products?  We should qualify
for educational pricing if that makes a difference.

Thanks.  (Note followups limited to two newsgroups.)

-- Webmaster, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

1. Cold Fusion, Solaris 2.5.1, Apache 1.2.4

I have compiled into httpd the Solaris library mod_coldfusion.a. The new
httpd linked fine and httpd executed with no problems, but when I go to
server any .cfm file I get the following error:

Run-time exception error; current exception: char *
        No handler for exception.

First is this a Cold Fusion error message or a Apache httpd error
message?

What is my best solution to debug a module in Apache?

There are no errors in the Apache logfiles and no errors in Cold
Fusion's logfiles.

Any ideas?

--

http://www.real-time.com                | Fax   : 612.943.8300
Key fingerprint =  6C E9 51 4F D5 3E 4C 66 62 A9 10 E5 35 85 39 D9

2. Is there a SAMBA.FAQ ?? Where ??

3. Help needed to tune Apache/Cold Fusion/Solaris

4. How to configure MD5 authentication for database use (Apache)

5. Cold-fusion apache solaris

6. double `

7. apache 1.3b3 for winNT/95 and cold fusion 3.1

8. Linux C++ TCP/IP sample code

9. Cold Fusion 4.x PRO on BSD???

10. Unix equivalent of Cold Fusion?

11. Wind/U Warning (271), Cold Fusion installation problems

12. Linux - Win95 and Cold Fusion?

13. Allaire Cold Fusion