virtual web servers(netscape under 2.4)

Post by Griff » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

We are running netscape communications server 1.1 under solaris 2.4
and have several virtual servers setup. We are having problems adding additional
servers on port 80. It gives an error that port 80 is busy. The virtual server
can be added on any other port, but not port 80. We shutdown all of the servers
on port 80 and then tried start them all back up, but got the same error. We
ended up having to reboot to get everything going again. Everything started up
on port 80 including the virtual server that we were trying to add. Im not sure
if this is a solaris or netscape problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

virtual web servers(netscape under 2.4)

Post by F I R E F L » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>We are running netscape communications server 1.1 under solaris 2.4
>and have several virtual servers setup. We are having problems adding additional
>servers on port 80. It gives an error that port 80 is busy. The virtual server
>can be added on any other port, but not port 80. We shutdown all of the servers
>on port 80 and then tried start them all back up, but got the same error. We
>ended up having to reboot to get everything going again. Everything started up
>on port 80 including the virtual server that we were trying to add. Im not sure
>if this is a solaris or netscape problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have one server which is bindind to port 80 on all interfaces (default is no
bind address is given)  Find this and bind it to an address.  It should be easy
to find as it will be the only one working on port 80 !

Bruce

1. netscape web servers - software virtual servers

I have recently been looking at using the software virtual servers in
Netscape Enterprise server (to save on IP addresses). As the
implementation stands, you can use this feature to map a homepage. Yu
would then have to map a directory for the rest of the documents to be
served (ie urls have this form
http://virtual-server.co.uk/mapped-directory). Netscape says in the
manual that there is a way to use virtual software servers to have an
entire server served in this way - you have to edit the obj.conf file.
That's fine, but in the manual it says that they don't support that
option and can't recommend it. My question is, has anyone used this
feature successfully (Irix 6.2 and Linux or BSDI) ? If it doesn't work,
then moving people over to this sort of server is a going to be a
nightmare. Unless anyone can recommend another server?

Thanks in advance
Andrew Thompson

2. Making my homework: how to make kde auto boot

3. Frontpage extension for virtual web on Netscape server

4. Mouse X & Y Directions Reversed Gateway-2000 PS/2 type

5. Virtual WEB, Virtual Mail, Secure Server

6. 2.4.17: BUG()at transaction.c:609

7. Sun Netra (2.4) and virtual servers?

8. Linux dummy here...Where can i download it ????

9. Virtual servers on Solaris 2.4

10. Solaris 2.4 binaries for multi-domain web servers

11. Solaris 2.4, PERL, Environment Variables and Web servers

12. Netscape Enterprise Server 3.6 + Software Virtual Server

13. Netscape enterprise server and virtual server problems