Burn CD questions?

Post by Bill » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I need to burn a Solaris CD.  I have a burner attached to a WinNT4
system
that I would like to use.  The software claims to be ISO9660 compliant
but
it doesn't burn properly/  For example, files without an extension get a
"."
at the end, and long path/ file names get hosed up.  What do I have to
do
to be able to burn CDs with this burner?

Bill

Burn CD questions?

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I need to burn a Solaris CD.  I have a burner attached to a WinNT4
> system that I would like to use.  The software claims to be ISO9660
> compliant but it doesn't burn properly/ For example, files without
> an extension get a "."  at the end, and long path/ file names get
> hosed up.  What do I have to do to be able to burn CDs with this
> burner?

I guess you want to do that for archival/backup purposes?

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================

Burn CD questions?

Post by Bill » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

No, I am distributing software.

> > I need to burn a Solaris CD.  I have a burner attached to a WinNT4
> > system that I would like to use.  The software claims to be ISO9660
> > compliant but it doesn't burn properly/ For example, files without
> > an extension get a "."  at the end, and long path/ file names get
> > hosed up.  What do I have to do to be able to burn CDs with this
> > burner?

> I guess you want to do that for archival/backup purposes?

> --

>                   Opinions expressed herein are my own.
> ================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================
>   Real Users never know what they want, but they always know when your
>                        program doesn't deliver it.

Burn CD questions?

Post by David Richar » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I need to burn a Solaris CD.

The best way I've found to burn a CD for Solaris without using a CD burner
on the Solaris machine directly, is to build the free CD-burner utilities
and use the 'mkisofs' to make an ISO9660 image, copy this image to the NT
machine, and use NT software that can burn from an image file.

Mkisofs is at-
        ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/BETA/cdrom/mkisofs-1.05.tar.gz

I have a burner attached to a WinNT4 system that I would like to use.

Quote:>The software claims to be ISO9660 compliant but it doesn't burn properly/
>For example, files without an extension get a >t the end, and long path/ file
>names get hosed up.  What do I have to do to be able to burn CDs with this
>burner?

Solaris handles long names very differently from Microsoft- the 'mkisofs'
software has specific options to determine whether the image follows the
ISO standard exactly, or uses the Sun extensions, or the Microsoft ones.

To write directly from Solaris, look at
        ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/kernel/scg/SCHILYscg.sparc.tar.Z

Burn CD questions?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>I need to burn a Solaris CD.

>The best way I've found to burn a CD for Solaris without using a CD burner
>on the Solaris machine directly, is to build the free CD-burner utilities
>and use the 'mkisofs' to make an ISO9660 image, copy this image to the NT
>machine, and use NT software that can burn from an image file.

OOPS

Everybody tells me that burning CD's on a Solaris machine is _much_ more
reliable than doing the same thing on NT.

Cdrecord locks into memory and uses the highes real time priority.
You can do anything you like while burning a CD on Solaris.

Quote:>Mkisofs is at-
>    ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/BETA/cdrom/mkisofs-1.05.tar.gz

This is a very old one. Cdrecord contains a mkisofs-1.12b4.
This mkisofs allows you to create ISO-9660 filesystems with Rosk Ridge _and_
Joliet extensions at the same time and supports to create Eltorito Boot.

Quote:>I have a burner attached to a WinNT4 system that I would like to use.
>>The software claims to be ISO9660 compliant but it doesn't burn properly/
>>For example, files without an extension get a >t the end, and long path/ file
>>names get hosed up.  What do I have to do to be able to burn CDs with this
>>burner?

>Solaris handles long names very differently from Microsoft- the 'mkisofs'
>software has specific options to determine whether the image follows the
>ISO standard exactly, or uses the Sun extensions, or the Microsoft ones.

Rock Ridge _is_ a standard (IEEE-P1282) while Joliet is not a standard.

Cdrecord can be found at: ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord

Actual stable snapshots are in: ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord

Information about cdrecord is at:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/p...

Cdrecord-1.8 comes in bundle with mkisofs and cdda2wav, it runs on 17 different
OS platforms.

Joerg

--

1. Please help -- error in burning or reading burned CD

Hi there:

  I have a new 36x12x48 CD-RW and I am still using FreeBSD 4.6. I haven't
  upgraded to 5.x yet because I have collected about 80 Gigabytes of stuff
  that I want to burn to CDs first. I have a P4 machine, 2 GHz, and 1G of
  memory. And here is an apparent problem.

  (1) When the burning is about 14%, there seems to be brief halt in the
  burning process (because burncd doesn't increase in the number of
  kilobytes burned) and then there is a noise of rapid spinning of the
  CD-RW, and then the rest of the burning seems okay.

  (2) After I burned a CD, there is an error in reading the CD from the
  CD-RW, and it says "error READ_BIG: ... MEDIUM ... 0x11 ..." or something
  similar. I am unable to use "diff" command to compare the original
  directory to those I burned onto the CD. But when I randomly check files
  on the CD from my W2K-DVD drive, I am unable to find any apparent error
  (yet), and I can read all the files I randomly selected to check. This
  happens to every disk I burned.

  Could someone please tell me what is going on, or have you experienced
  similar problem?

  Thank you very much.

vector

2. stdargs on a Sun 4. Help needed!

3. CD burning issues under redhat with all burning applications

4. pppd and 2.4.0

5. Question about DMA and cd burning.

6. How To Spin-Down a SCSI Disk??

7. Another success report for ide-cd burning in 2.5 series and a question...

8. Help this XFree86 3.1 error

9. cd burn/backup question

10. A Burning CD-Rom Question

11. CD-R>W Burning question

12. CD Burning Question

13. Burning bootable Linux CDs under Windows - answer, not a question