Can't create more than one softpartition on a disk using SVM

Can't create more than one softpartition on a disk using SVM

Post by co4.. » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:58:19

Hi,

I am finding a strange problem. I created one large partition
on a 0 slice disk using format utility. When I tried to create multiple
soft partitions on the disk(not on mirror), it allowed me to crete only
first soft partition, gives error for next softpartitions.

Apreciate some guidence.

Regards

Can't create more than one softpartition on a disk using SVM

Post by bob » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:10:30

1. Prepare the disk for SVM and create 1st partition
        metainit d100 -p -e c1t1d0s0 2g

        -p -e says to initialize disk only for SVM use
        slice 7 will be used for metadb

2. Add soft partitions to the drive above
        metainit d9 -p c1t1d0s0 1g
        "Run this command on for every new partition you want to create on this
drive"

if I wanted to make a 5 g partition on this drive I would:
        metainit d9 -p c1t1d0s0 5g

        I could continue until I ran out of scape on the disk

> Hi,

> I am finding a strange problem. I created one large partition
> on a 0 slice disk using format utility. When I tried to create multiple
> soft partitions on the disk(not on mirror), it allowed me to crete only
> first soft partition, gives error for next softpartitions.

> Apreciate some guidence.

> Regards

1. Solaris 10 SVM fails to boot from mirrored disk on 2 disk system; need help!

Trying to make a Solaris 10 router out of Netra AC200 T1.

In a nutshell:
Solaris 10 3/05 Reduced Networking Software Group installed
Right out of the box. No patch clusters yet applied.
Installed the SVM missing pkg SUNWmdu not part of the Group install.
Got the boot disk mirrored/attached/sync'd up. All ok.

To test the the failover I shutdown the system, pull disk number 2 out
and power up.

On boot, the kernel loads, and then I get:

WARNING: md: d102 (Unavailable)
          Error writing ufs log state
          ufs log for / changed state to error
          Please unmount(1M) and run fsck (1M)

panic[cpu0]/thread=180e000: could not install the isa driver
syncing files systems ...done

I googled on the "ufs log" error but all I could find where references
to Disksuite for Solaris 7/8, maybe 9 and possibly a patch for it.
Nothing about Solaris 10.

What really irks me is that I practiced SVM for Solaris 10 on an extra
E450 where I could give a rats ass whether it worked or not (of course
it all worked and no problems, recoveries and all!). Now that it is for
real,I get problems. Been pissing away 7+ days on this beast and I need
help!

The AC200 has the latest OBP prom (4.0.17 IIRC) and the latest lom lite
firmware in it.

inetd and svcs looks ok to me. All enabled and not any problems.
I cannot give listsings as it is a work and isolated to a Wyse 60 for a
console.

Quick searching on sunsolve didn't reveal anything specific.
Anyone have some experience on this?

Thanks.
-Roger

2. Per-packet overhead of PPP+UDP

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Diamond Fire GL 1000 pro

5. Help with LoadModul

6. Creating SVM mirrors

7. SVGA/MGA Xserver for PPC...Help!

8. 5.7 'df' on first partition reporting the entire disk?

9. Creating first two LINUX disks with UNIX DD command

10. How does one create a root disk on a floppy?

11. how does one create a custom bootnet.img boot disk...

12. setup one interface for 'up' and another one for 'down'