how to mount floppy on 2.8 x86 - no /dev/floppy

how to mount floppy on 2.8 x86 - no /dev/floppy

Post by Chris Majewsk » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:36:38

How can I mount a floppy -  any floppy - on a solaris 2.8 x86 machine?
I can't even find a device file that looks like a floppy..

-chris

Post by chad schroc » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 12:01:25

> How can I mount a floppy -  any floppy - on a solaris
> 2.8 x86 machine? I can't even find a device file that
> looks like a floppy..

insert the floppy and run "volcheck"

The floppy will be mounted at /floppy/floppy0
(assuming that it has a filesystem on it)

If the floppy doesn't have a filesystem on it, the
raw device will show up in /vol.

chad

--
chad at radix dot net

how to mount floppy on 2.8 x86 - no /dev/floppy

Post by Chris Majewsk » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 02:38:34

Well, it doesn't.
-chris

> > How can I mount a floppy -  any floppy - on a solaris
> > 2.8 x86 machine? I can't even find a device file that
> > looks like a floppy..

> insert the floppy and run "volcheck"

> The floppy will be mounted at /floppy/floppy0
> (assuming that it has a filesystem on it)

> If the floppy doesn't have a filesystem on it, the
> raw device will show up in /vol.

> chad

> --
> chad at radix dot net

how to mount floppy on 2.8 x86 - no /dev/floppy

Post by Paul Flo » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 05:48:46

Quote:>Well, it doesn't.
>-chris

My experience is that Solaris is rather unreliable in mounting floppies.
I reckon about 1/3 of the time it just simply fails. I'm not too sure
what it doesn't like, perhaps the volume label, something else maybe?

I've never had any problems with Windows, DOS, OS/2, FreBSD and Linux.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)

If more is better, are double standards better than single ones?

1. trouble mounting /dev/floppy or /dev/fd0

Help!

I'm having trouble with the latest SuSE distribution -

Once I install Linux and bring up my system for the first time, SuSE
is not able to access the floppy drive.

 I have tried

        mount /dev/fd0

        mount /dev/floppy

        mount /mnt/fd0

        mount /mnt/floppy

and I still am not able to do a "ls" on the drive....

If I use the Caldera distribution, I have no trouble....   But I seem
to have problems with SuSE.    What am I doing wrong - this absolute
newbie needs to know!!!!!

Thanks

Chris

2. ld: cannot open -lX11: No suh file or directory

3. how to mount a dos floppy to /mnt/floppy

4. /usr partition dies every power cycle

5. Q: remote floppy mount , jumpstart floppy

6. printing to file

7. RedHat 5.1 floppy install not mounting floppy ro CDROM

8. How do I configure Anonymous FTP site

9. Floppy directory structure won't update when new floppy is mounted

10. Error mounting floppy, it says /dev/fd0 not a block device.

11. Can I set up /dev/floppy to be mounted by non-root?

12. mount /floppy (/dev/fd0) as user

13. how to mount a /dev/fd0u1760 formatted floppy