SUN SPARC Server 1000 problem

Post by Koyo Won » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

We have an old-fashion E1000 server running with 4 x 512MB hard disks
(ST3160N). Recently we would like to replace them with a single 9GB hard
disk and re-install Solaris 7. Well, unfortunately, the BIOS always
"remember" the 4 disks with probe-scsi-all and cannot see the new one, even
we have boot -r. Please suggest why and how to solve it, thanks!

Koyo

Post by Juergen Marend » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> We have an old-fashion E1000 server running with 4 x 512MB hard disks
> (ST3160N). Recently we would like to replace them with a single 9GB hard
> disk and re-install Solaris 7. Well, unfortunately, the BIOS always
> "remember" the 4 disks with probe-scsi-all and cannot see the new one, even
> we have boot -r. Please suggest why and how to solve it, thanks!

> Koyo

Open the E1000 and disconnect the four internal drives.
The "bios" does not remember anything about hard-drives.
Jumper the new disk to an unused SCSI-ID if you want to use it parallel
(for copying)
to the old disks.
Remember 7=Host; 6 CDROM if present, 5 internal Tape-drive if present,
3,1,0,2 internal Hard Disks.
4 is probably the only left free SCSI-ID.

Hope this helps,

Juergen Marenda.
--

Post by Thomas Tornblo » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> We have an old-fashion E1000 server running with 4 x 512MB hard disks
> (ST3160N). Recently we would like to replace them with a single 9GB hard
> disk and re-install Solaris 7. Well, unfortunately, the BIOS always
> "remember" the 4 disks with probe-scsi-all and cannot see the new one, even
> we have boot -r. Please suggest why and how to solve it, thanks!

This is simply not true.

If you can't see the new disk with probe-scsi-all, then you have a
connection problem to your disk.

Check your cabling, SCSI-addresses and termination.

How did you connect the disk to the system?

How many system boards do you have, and to which did you connect the
new disk?

--

Sun Microsystems AB      Fax: +46 8 623 9102

1. console & sun sparc server 1000

Hi,

  two questions:

  1.) When I connected my laptop, using kermit, I can connect to all
other servers' such as ss20, ultra 1 and ultra 2, but, I just could not
connect to my Sparcserver 1000.  What may be the problem?  All the
kermit settings are correct.  could it because of anything that I miss?

  2.) behind the server, there are sets of indication leds.  the green
lights indicate CPU, what is the amber light indicating?

  So, to solve the console problem, I connect my server to a monitor &
keyboard, and it did show all the things on the screen.

  3.) Now, can I simply UNPLUG the keyboard & monitor without
interrupting the services (without reboot).

  If possible, please mail my reply.  thanks... and appreciate all