Solaris 10 Vs Solaris 8&9 - Urgent

Post by vinsi.. » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:04:14

Hi all,

I am a Sun Solaris 8 & 9 administrator and it's been almost 5 years
that SUN systems has touched my heart massively (...to be precise... it
has been my source of bread and Butter)...

Off late I came to hear that SUN Solaris 10 has come up with new
features and apart from that they have changed the whole structure of
OS as well, compare to Solaris 8 & 9.

I would like to know what exactly the changes and  new features had bee
commissioned in Solaris 10...(A brief list can help me in this
regard...)...Please help.. Need to be keep a* with new
technology..!!

Many Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
-Vinu.

Post by Scott Howar » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:59:56

> I am a Sun Solaris 8 & 9 administrator and it's been almost 5 years
> that SUN systems has touched my heart massively (...to be precise... it
> has been my source of bread and Butter)...

In another thread you said you didn't know what "pkgadd" did. Sorry,
but I don't think you can call yourself a Solaris Administrator.

Quote:> Off late I came to hear that SUN Solaris 10 has come up with new
> features and apart from that they have changed the whole structure of
> OS as well, compare to Solaris 8 & 9.

Collectively how many times have you been pointed to docs.sun.com by now?
I've seen at least 4-5 times...

  Scott.

Post by Lion- » Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:49:22

Quote:>> Off late I came to hear that SUN Solaris 10 has come up with new
>> features and apart from that they have changed the whole structure of
>> OS as well, compare to Solaris 8 & 9.

> Collectively how many times have you been pointed to docs.sun.com by now?
> I've seen at least 4-5 times...

Yeah, but this is different!  Now he doesn't need the documentation but the
feature list ;-)

So get ready guys to start repeating after me:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/

(ok, ok... its sunday and I'm a little bored. won't feed any more trolls (IMO
thats what its about with the OP) today).

--
Groetjes, Peter

.\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

Solaris 10 Vs Solaris 8&9 - Urgent

Post by vinsi.. » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 02:13:17

Boss.. those were interview questions..which I posted...Although I did
know the answer ... I was just trying to know something different and
to present in a classy interview stuff......

One of the project I worked I found that companies use their own
customized packages... so they use pkgadd to install those in specific
directories...Like by default some packages use /usr directory as base
to install .... So I thought somebody must have the answer to ---> how
to use "pkgadd" to use packages for the specific directories we want...
and there are more other stuff..I would like to explore on those
questions...!!

Docs.sun.com doesn't have much answer...but thanks...I would go there
and check the stuff I require...

Thanks for your help again.

Post by CJT » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 03:48:17

> Boss.. those were interview questions..which I posted...Although I did
> know the answer ... I was just trying to know something different and
> to present in a classy interview stuff......

> One of the project I worked I found that companies use their own
> customized packages... so they use pkgadd to install those in specific
> directories...Like by default some packages use /usr directory as base
> to install .... So I thought somebody must have the answer to ---> how
> to use "pkgadd" to use packages for the specific directories we want...
> and there are more other stuff..I would like to explore on those
> questions...!!

> Docs.sun.com doesn't have much answer...but thanks...I would go there
> and check the stuff I require...

> Thanks for your help again.

Browsing www.sun.com should quickly reveal what you seek -- the last
time I looked (about 2 minutes ago), there was a direct link from there
to a Solaris 10 information page.

I'm surprised you didn't think of that yourself.

Post by Randal T. Riou » Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:15:59

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.veryComputer.com/ ***

Solaris 10 Vs Solaris 8&9 - Urgent

Post by Nathan Dietsc » Wed, 08 Mar 2006 01:01:04

Quote:> Docs.sun.com doesn't have much answer...but thanks...I would go there
> and check the stuff I require...

If docs.sun.com doesn't have the answer, then you need to think about
the question.

The What's new document is always useful;

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0547

Kind Regards,

Nathan Dietsch