mibiisa process leaks memory

Post by Pierre Imbau » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Im 2.7 on pentium, with only 64 megs ram now.
I witness a funny problem: the mibiisa process seem to leak memory.
I observe it thru top. uses 1 more meg every 2 hours or so.
I dont directly use it, dunno who needs it on the machine (workstation,
on a small network).
Someone saw this already? Someone got an idea?
--

12 Rue des Bosquets 91480 Quincy Sous Snart France
Tel:  01 69 00 94 57 Fax 79 65

Post by Stefan Berglu » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Im 2.7 on pentium, with only 64 megs ram now.
> I witness a funny problem: the mibiisa process seem to leak memory.
> I observe it thru top. uses 1 more meg every 2 hours or so.
> I dont directly use it, dunno who needs it on the machine (workstation,
> on a small network).
> Someone saw this already? Someone got an idea?

Yes I have noticed something like this on my U5/2.7 machine at home. I
can't say that I saw it in this detail but after being up for a couple
of days it filled up the memory and swap...

mibiisa is part of the snmp thingys, my guess is that it is some remote
system monitoring tool but I havn't really bothered to look it up.
I see no reason to use it on a standalone machine anyway so I just
disabled it.
Look in /etc/init.d/init.snmpdx how the if statement is built, make
sure that it isn't true or just delete it from the rc?.d directorys.

It might be that it fills up with events and noone ever reads from it.
Which means that there is a bug, it really shouldn't fill up all
memory and swap under any conditions.

--
                        /Stefan

Life - the ultimate practical joke

1. Solaris 2.6 mibiisa leaking memory?

I've noticed the following behavior on a handful of our Solaris 2.6
machines (I don't think these are running a recent cluster patch).  When
snmpdx is started, mibiisa starts consuming more and more memory, sometimes
100 MB in-core, or more.  I don't recall seeing any patches for this on
Sunsolve, but I was wondering a) if anyone else had noticed this problem and
b) what you did to clear it, if anything.

I haven't noticed any peculiar errors related to snmpdx/mibiisa popping up
in my logs, so this seems kind of mysterious.

The problem is particularly pronounced on two webservers, pushing a lot of
traffic and each has many virtual interfaces, however I have other Solaris
2.6 machines which move substantially more data across the network and their
SNMP agents are well-behaved wrt memory/swap consumption...

Any ideas?

2. POS printer driver for linux wanted

3. How to find out the memory size used by a process or check its memory leaking?

4. Free SCO and CREATIVE LABS scsi cd-rom

5. Httpd process leaking memory

6. Using select() with pipes

7. How does one debug daemon processes with memory leaks ?

8. Linux on a Compaq Concerto anyone?

9. Memory leaks in all Java processes

10. HELP - "VM: killing processes", memory leaks & other weirdness

11. Memory leak, process hogging

12. memory leak, process hogging