changing IP,Subnet MASK address and GATEWAYaddress

changing IP,Subnet MASK address and GATEWAYaddress

Post by srajan raghuwansh » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 04:39:29

hello  !

this is a UNIX server with SOLARiS !! SPARC station

The Gserver currently has only Solaris 2.7 installed.One of my main issues
is to be able re-configure the network interface to physically move it to a
new location . I know the IP and Gateway will have to change as well and the
host name. But how to do it - i have no clue to it !

please do let meknow !

will surely try to help in return !

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:15:43

> hello  !

> this is a UNIX server with SOLARiS !! SPARC station

> The Gserver currently has only Solaris 2.7 installed.One of my main
> issues is to be able re-configure the network interface to physically
> move it to a new location . I know the IP and Gateway will have to
> change as well and the host name. But how to do it - i have no clue to
> it !

> please do let meknow !

> will surely try to help in return !

See the list of files at the bottom of sys-unconfig(1M).

changing IP,Subnet MASK address and GATEWAYaddress

Post by Boll Weevi » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 23:17:42

Just run these commands with your specific IPs:

#ifconfig le0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
#route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1

Your nic might not be le0.  You can double check by:

#ifconfig -a

Hope this helps.

The bug

"If you don't want to help.. then shut the hell up!"

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:20:16

> hello  !

> this is a UNIX server with SOLARiS !! SPARC station

> The Gserver currently has only Solaris 2.7 installed.One of my main issues
> is to be able re-configure the network interface to physically move it to a
> new location . I know the IP and Gateway will have to change as well and the
> host name. But how to do it - i have no clue to it !

> please do let meknow !

> will surely try to help in return !

        Since you are a novice, don't listen to the idiots that want to manually
edit all the config files.  Just do "sys-unconfig" before you power down
the machine at it's original location.  Then when you turn it on after
the move, it will ask you all the network questions.  All you have to do
is type in the answers and you're back in business.

                        Hope this helps,
                                Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:49:16

>> hello  !

>> this is a UNIX server with SOLARiS !! SPARC station

> Since you are a novice, don't listen to the idiots that want to
> manually
> edit all the config files.  Just do "sys-unconfig" before you power
> down
> the machine at it's original location.  Then when you turn it on after
> the move, it will ask you all the network questions.  All you have to
> do is type in the answers and you're back in business.

And since it is a server, it will have a static IP address.  No DHCP
involved.  And if the system does not discover a router during boot
then /etc/defaultrouter is going to have to be configured also.
sys-unconfig does NOT do that.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:21:30

>>>hello  !

>>>this is a UNIX server with SOLARiS !! SPARC station

>>Since you are a novice, don't listen to the idiots that want to
>>manually
>>edit all the config files.  Just do "sys-unconfig" before you power
>>down
>>the machine at it's original location.  Then when you turn it on after
>>the move, it will ask you all the network questions.  All you have to
>>do is type in the answers and you're back in business.

> And since it is a server, it will have a static IP address.  No DHCP
> involved.  And if the system does not discover a router during boot
> then /etc/defaultrouter is going to have to be configured also.
> sys-unconfig does NOT do that.

        Hey, if it didn't drop the ball somewhere, it wouldn't be a true SUN product.

                        Don