tcsh command history and scrolling windows

tcsh command history and scrolling windows

Post by Hans Georg Schaath » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:04:07 -0600,

: Is there any way I can have the best of both worlds - tcsh arrow keys
: and cmdtool-like scrolling/session history?

xterm also provides a scrolling facility, using shift PgUp/PgDown,
and will thus not interfere with the arrow keys. (xterm can also
have a scroll bar for mouse users, read the man page)

tcsh allows for redefinition of keys, personally I use vi-like
keybindings (bindkey -v), so I can ESC to command mode and
recall the command history with j and k (or search with ? or /);
for other uses of bindkey, read the man page.

Hope this helps.

--
:-- Hans Georg           --- student of 'Life, the Universe and Everything'

,Studenter, ta fri, det er v?r !'

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

|One of my primary reasons for switching to tcsh is the ability to recall
|and edit the command history using the arrow keys
|                                 xterm windows provide full arrow key
|functionality but no scrolling capability.

Use "xterm -sb" to get a scrollbar on your xterm.  You can also set a
resource to change the default.  See "man xterm" for more information.

You may want to read "man tcsh" for more information on tcsh's key
bindings for editing the command history.  It isn't limited to the
arrow keys.

tcsh command history and scrolling windows

Post by Andrew Dunst » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

enough to say:

Quote:

>Hi!  I'm a fairly new Unix user who has recently switched from csh to
>tcsh.  Before I go on, here are a few vital statistics about my
>workstation:
>  Workstation Type:  SUNW,Ultra-1; sparc; sun4u
>  Operating System:  SunOS Release 5.5.1 Generic_103641-08
>  Window System:     OpenWindows Version 3.5.1
>One of my primary reasons for switching to tcsh is the ability to recall
>and edit the command history using the arrow keys (as I've done for years
>on MSDOS PCs using DOSKEY and similar utilities).  However, I also like
>cmdtool windows for their ability to scroll backwards and see my session
>as far back as my logfile will hold.  Unfortunately, cmdtool also
>pre-empts the arrow keys for its own purposes, overriding the functions
>of these keys provided by tcsh.  xterm windows provide full arrow key
>functionality but no scrolling capability.  Turning off scrolling in
>cmdtool doesn't help; doing that it acts as if cmdtool has two totally
>separete windows with different session and command histories, and
>turning scrolling on/off just swaps between the two of them.

>Is there any way I can have the best of both worlds - tcsh arrow keys
>and cmdtool-like scrolling/session history?

xterm can do scrolling, no problems. Just put something like this in your X
startup:

echo 'XTerm*saveLines: 1000' | xrdb -merge
echo 'XTerm*scrollBar: true' | xrdb -merge

or do the equivalent in a .Xresources file

cheers

andrew

  There's nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so - Hamlet
  http://www.gr-lakes.com/~andrew (including PGP key)
  PGP Key fingerprint = 5C 44 7D E4 76 A3 31 DE  3D 11 FA 15 4D 87 1F 5E

Post by Veksler Micha » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:04:07 -0600,

: : Is there any way I can have the best of both worlds - tcsh arrow keys
: : and cmdtool-like scrolling/session history?

: xterm also provides a scrolling facility, using shift PgUp/PgDown,
: and will thus not interfere with the arrow keys. (xterm can also
: have a scroll bar for mouse users, read the man page)

: tcsh allows for redefinition of keys, personally I use vi-like
: keybindings (bindkey -v), so I can ESC to command mode and
: recall the command history with j and k (or search with ? or /);
: for other uses of bindkey, read the man page.

Command history is the wrong reason to move to tcsh. The right reason
may be - programmable completions, command history merging, etc.
Tcsh is a bad scripting shell, so it makes life harder if you want to
do interactive scripting. (redirecting stdout to a pipe, and stderr
to /dev/null at the same time - is impossible without /bin/sh)

If you have access to zsh, you will be better off using it. If there is
no zsh, you may try bash. If that does not exist, then move to tcsh.

(zsh has mostly all tcsh capabilities, and more, but bash lacks some
interactive tcsh features).

Michael

1. history command matching with tcsh

 I'm coming from a modified ksh environment (QNX) that had a really neat
feature:
You could hit Ctrl-R and then type a substring from a command in the history
and as you typed, the next matching command would be displayed on the
cmd line.
Is such a thing available for tcsh?

Bruce.

2. unix devices

3. tcsh - command history between shells

4. Repost: Where the heck are the Xaw/Xaw3d src/include files?

5. TCSH command history editing

6. linux or netware?

7. command history in csh/tcsh

8. can not load driver in Solaris 9: xxx multiply defined

9. Command history with tcsh

10. tcsh: share command history with su?

11. remember command history in tcsh?

12. tcsh: saving history when window manager exits

13. Date stamping commands in the shell command history file