Hardware selection for a 400 GIG Oracle Database

Hardware selection for a 400 GIG Oracle Database

Post by Mike » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi

Could anyone please suggest as to what Sun Sparc systems would suit best for
a 400 GIG  Oracle Database for a 24X7 operations - including backup media
hardware

Tks so much
Mike

Post by Norman H. Tacket » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi

> Could anyone please suggest as to what Sun Sparc systems would suit best for
> a 400 GIG  Oracle Database for a 24X7 operations - including backup media
> hardware

> Tks so much
> Mike

Half configured E10K + 4 processor domain for backup (36 processors
total)

Several A5200 StorEdge Disk Arrays or 1 A7000 (4.2 TB capacity)

Plan on doing 1 + 0 hardware RAID (mirror: hardware, stripe: Veritas)
Plan on a huge archive directory so you can do hot backups or
go with triple mirror. The performace hit of resyncing mirrors can be
worse or just as bad as a hot backup.

L11000 StorEdge Tape Library attached to backup domain (8 tape drives).

Create a virtual network interface between backup domain and database
domain.

Go with the A7000 if you see lots of growth in your future. Otherwise a
few
of the A5200 racks (1 TB) should do.

Norm.

P.S. Please ask your Sun rep to send me a 5% referal fee so I can
retire.

Hardware selection for a 400 GIG Oracle Database

Post by mike schec » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with the hardware recommendations made to
you for strorage.

Quote:>>Several A5200 StorEdge Disk Arrays or 1 A7000  (4.2 TB capacity)

 The a5000 does not have the throughput that I think you are looking for.
The a7000 is even worse, and sun has already end of lifed it, so you
wouldn't be able to buy it anyway.  The best choice for storage would be the
a3500 fc-al arrays.  In the benchmarks I have done they are about 3 times as
fast as the a5000's.  The e10k I think would be ideal however.

-mike

Quote:> Hi

Post by rxseven2g » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I am sorry, but I have to disagree with the hardware recommendations
made to
> you for strorage.

> >>Several A5200 StorEdge Disk Arrays or 1 A7000 (4.2 TB capacity)

> The a5000 does not have the throughput that I think you are looking

for.

The A5000 has blazing fast I/O, but no write buffer cache, so I/O in a
read/write intensive environment,performance can really suffer.
(Actually, it DOES have an optional set of NVRAM cache cards that list
for $15k.  Ugh.)

Quote:> The a7000 is even worse, and sun has already end of lifed it, so you
> wouldn't be able to buy it anyway.

A7000 was mostly for shared E10k/mainframe storage.  It wasn't designed
for TPC recordsetting.

The best choice for storage would be the

Quote:> a3500 fc-al arrays. In the benchmarks I have done they are about 3
times as
> fast as the a5000's.

I agree, the A3500 would probably be ideal.  Huge cache, HW RAID, etc.
Scales nicely when adding new disks.

 The e10k I think would be ideal however.

Depends.  Are you doing Oracle Parallel Server? Oracle HA?  Have you
figured what your CPU and memory requirements will be?

- rx

> -mike

> > Hi

> > Could anyone please suggest as to what Sun Sparc systems would suit
best
> for
> > a 400 GIG Oracle Database for a 24X7 operations - including backup
media
> > hardware

> > Tks so much
> > Mike