Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by Kevin J. Brandi » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm having problems with a Sparc-10 running Solaris 2.4.  The system
has a token ring card and is using static routing.

My problem is the system seems to perodically loose it's routing information.
When this happens the system is a wash, incomming and outgoing connections
are dropped, new connections fail.  There is only one route, the default,
defined on the system.  If after a failure I re-add it:
"route add default 128.128.128.128 1",  all communications continue
as normal.

A co-worker of mine came up with a temporary fix, (an infinite loop,
ping the router, sleep 120,....) but we would like to fix it the right
way.

Anyone have any ideas ???

--
:r .signature
kevin j brandich, systems software analyst  |

WWW: http://grail.cba.csuohio.edu/~kebrandi |       -hoodoo gurus

Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by Hans Brin » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

The file /etc/defaultrouter should im your case contain the single line:
128.128.128.128

We had the same problem at since we used this feature, we've had no
problems at all with our router.

--

Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by Kevin J. Brandi » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: The file /etc/defaultrouter should im your case contain the single line:
: 128.128.128.128

: We had the same problem at since we used this feature, we've had no
: problems at all with our router.

/etc/default router is set to our correct router, and the route is set
properly when the system comes up.  I am under the impression that
the only time /etc/defaultrouter is used is at system initialization
(from /etc/rc2.d/S69inet for us)  Is this untrue ??

(For the record, I will no longer be loose in be spellings of lose !)

: --

--
:r .signature
kevin j brandich, systems software analyst  |

WWW: http://grail.cba.csuohio.edu/~kebrandi |       -hoodoo gurus

Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by Tor Houghton (SysAdm » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Speaking of losing routes... This is what we get here.

We're running a Sparcstation 5, with a patched Solaris 2.3, although I am not
sure what patches are installed. How do I find out?

Since we had a disk crash here, we had to install an old root partition,
which I had no control over (I started working here just recently). Since
then, the routing problem has appeared. Is there a patch which fixes this
which I've missed, or what?

It seems like every 20 minutes or so -- we'll have ping running, and suddenly
(well, every 20 mins or so) it will have a max of around 20000ms, then work
normally again.

Can anyone help me with this? email is preferred.

Thanks,

Tor.

                         | Fax 01633 811829 | Imperial House, Newport NP1 9UH

Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by Hans Brin » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> ... I am under the impression that
>the only time /etc/defaultrouter is used is at system initialization
>(from /etc/rc2.d/S69inet for us)  Is this untrue ??

 When I installed Solaris 2.4 on 12*SS5 I didn't use /etc/defaultrouter bq. I
didn't know about it. That's when I had a lot of problems losing the route.
When the other sysop came back from his holiday he corrected that and since
then we've hade no problems at all.
 I'm not sure about the file ONLY beeing used during startup, MEYBE if the system
detects that routing isn't beeing used and knows it has been, it checks the file,
and if found, restarts it.  or maybe not.
 The thing is. It works for us.

--

Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by Stephen C. Fitc » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Speaking of losing routes... This is what we get here.

->
->We're running a Sparcstation 5, with a patched Solaris 2.3, although I am not
->sure what patches are installed. How do I find out?
->

showrev -p

Will tell you what patches are installed.

->Since we had a disk crash here, we had to install an old root partition,
->which I had no control over (I started working here just recently). Since
->then, the routing problem has appeared. Is there a patch which fixes this
->which I've missed, or what?

Who knows ? If you still have problems call Sun, or I could check their
Sunsolve database if you like, let me know ?

->
->It seems like every 20 minutes or so -- we'll have ping running, and suddenly
->(well, every 20 mins or so) it will have a max of around 20000ms, then work
->normally again.
->

What comms setup have you got  ?

Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by A. Ri » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

torh> Speaking of losing routes... This is what we get here.

we are also experiencing problems losing routes (and not being able to
put them back even after an attempted flush of the routing table).  we
see this on x86 2.4, but not on any of our sparc's running 2.4.

its reading the route from /etc/defaultroutes and configuring things
correctly at boot time.  we dont have any extras like routed, gated,
or the discovery daemon running.

im baffled at why the routes seem to keep timing out since we aren't
trying to run a polling mechanism.  i don't want to have to resort to
answering routed requests just for this one machine.

i am able to thwart the evil route dropping by loggin in remotely and
running a:

while 1
uptime
ypwhich

(or any command, i imagine, as long as it keeps seeing traffic)

anyone else seen this behavior?  know of a fix?

Solaris 2.4, Looses Route

Post by Toomas Soo » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I'm having problems with a Sparc-10 running Solaris 2.4.  The system
: has a token ring card and is using static routing.

: My problem is the system seems to perodically loose it's routing information.
: When this happens the system is a wash, incomming and outgoing connections
: are dropped, new connections fail.  There is only one route, the default,
: defined on the system.  If after a failure I re-add it:
: "route add default 128.128.128.128 1",  all communications continue
: as normal.

: A co-worker of mine came up with a temporary fix, (an infinite loop,
: ping the router, sleep 120,....) but we would like to fix it the right
: way.

: Anyone have any ideas ???

Try 'routed -q'. Or ask router to stop sending default route - since system
finds routing information in the net, it deletes old route from kernel table,
but there is nothing to set new route... if you delete /etc/defaultroute, then
routed will be lounched at startup.

--
toomas

1. routing tabels loosing default route using PPP

Hi,

I have written to the net about this before, but then it was bonched together
with a lot of other stuff so there might be someone out there that didn't
read it because of this:

My problem:
        A route added by route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gets lost
        by the system wo. any complaints or explanations.

Call sequence:
        1. pppattach xxxxx
        2. ifconfig -a gives me the negotiated IP-address
        3. route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        4. netstat -rn shows the route as expected
        5. Misc commands, ftp, telnet, Mosaic.... Doesn't matter.
           Works fine for some time. The stops.
        6. netstat -rn shows that the deafult entyr in the table has dissappeared ?
        7. Another route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx works fine and gets everything
going again.
        8. Usually doesn't happen again.

I can't see any correlation to any action I do on the net or on the machine.

The System:
        Corollary 8x4 Serial MUX
        Multitech ZDX Modem 28.8k (Did the same with myolder Dynaling 14.4k)
        CPU Cyrix 5x86 (The same symptoms with the previous 486DX2-50
        Openserver 5.0 with 5.0.0d patch and net100 patch.

Any hint  appreciated.

Hi from Finland

--

Oy NewTech Ab                            phone: +358 0 8024910
Trasktorpet 3                              fax: +358 0 8024916

2. Checksum error upon bootup uf Sparc IPC - please help!

3. Destination Loose UDP in 2.4 (net/ipv4/netfilter)

4. OpenBSD 2.6 Remote reboot problem

5. Loosing chars on serial console in 2.4

6. hierarchical proxy servers

7. kernel 2.4 - UDP Destination Loose

8. Help

9. in.routed dies on Solaris 2.4

10. Solaris 2.4 flunks Routing 101

11. Solaris 2.4 and routing

12. ipfw (IP Firewall), proxy and IP routing on Solaris 2.4

13. Problems with routing in a Solaris 2.4 box