Installing gcc 2.6.3 on Solaris x86 2.4

Post by Steve Buc » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

The following is how we installed gcc to work on Solaris:

Quote:> Hello,
> Could you please tell me where I can get gcc 2.6.3 and what is the tip you got
> to have it work?
> I'm running a solaris 2.4 on a sun sparc 5. I can find gcc 2.3.3, but not gcc
> 3.6.3 anywhere.

You can ftp to ftp.sibylline.com and uder /pub/software/unix you
will find the gcc 2.6.3 sources.   Hope this helps.  When we got our
original binaries for gcc 2.6.3, we obtained them from
server.berkeley.edu.  I can't remember the exact directory, but the
binaries were specifically for x86 Solaris.

What we did was get the binaries and install them...then we used it to
compile the raw gcc 2.6.3 sources and specified i586-solaris2.4 as our
host, target, and build machines.  After compiling, we recompiled stage 2
and then installed it.  It seems to be working fine.

Quote:> I'm trying to compile gcc 2.3.3, but got stucked on the
> installation instruction step 4 (Make sure the Bison parser generator is
> installed). I don't know what is Bison parser generator is, so don't know what
> to do from here. I'm pretty new on unix. I'd appreciate if you can give me some
> help on this. Thanks!

I'm not sure what the Bison parser generator is either, so we just
ignored it and it seemed to work.  We didn't change anything.

Also we had a problem when trying to compile a few programs.  Here is an
excerpt from a mail message that helped to solve our problem:

Quote:> : After spending many hours on getting a decent compiler running under
> : Solarisx86 version 2.4, I'm about ready to toss in the towel. After
> : installing Gcc 2.6.3 (binary dist) and running the just-fixinc, whenever
> : I try to compile a program using net functions, it declares an 'Undefined
> : Symbol' for common things such as
> : socket
> : gethostbyaddr
> : bind
> : listen
> : and several others. I've checked the FAQ and nothing. I'm just about
> : ready to fork over the extra bucks for the real CC. Any help appreciated.
> Youll have the same problems with a real compiler as well. GCC 2.6.3
> is a really good compiledr.  Most of the those functions are in the
> Network servcies library (libnsl) and that depends on the socket
> library (libsocket). so you will need to add -lnsl -lsocket
> on the end of your compile or link line.

Hope this helps you...if you have any questions..let me know

Steve Buck
   ________________________         '''         _________________________
  /                        \       (o o)       /                        /|
 /                          \--oOO--(_)--OOo--/                        / |
/---------------------------------------------------------------------/  |

| Org:    MTSU Police Deptartment    | talker: 161.45.9.1 3000        |  |
|------------------------------------+--------------------------------|  |
|____________________________________|________________________________/

Post by Davin Ch » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>> : installing Gcc 2.6.3 (binary dist) and running the just-fixinc, whenever
>> : I try to compile a program using net functions, it declares an 'Undefined
>> : Symbol' for common things such as
>> : socket
>> : gethostbyaddr
>> : bind
>> : listen

 you need to use the -lnsl and -lsocket flag when linking the program
normaly add it to "LIBS" or "EXTRA_LIB" in the makefile.  To find out other
linking probs and how to correct them after deeing the srror do a  man lookup
like man socket, and that will tell you what flags it needs.

Davin