More Win 98 and Solaris 7 questions

Post by Julienna C » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Guys,

I installed Win 98 and Solaris onto the same 5.7 gig disk drive.

Partition 1 (2 GB) Win 98 w/FAT 32
Partition 2 (2 GB) Solaris 7
Partition 3 (1.3 GB)

I can dual boot with the Solaris Boot Manager just fine.

Here is my problem.
Since Partition 2 (Solaris 7) is now seen by Win 98 as Disk D.

The problem is that since Disk D is formatted by Solaris, it is
unreadable by Win 98.
In the MS-DOS window it will tell you that there is a error reading the
drive. If you
double click on My Computer or Explorer which tries to access drive d:,
then the computer will stall for a very very long time. you have to do a
ctr-alt-del to manually kill the process off before the system is back to
normal.

What gives? What do I need to do to fix this?
Can someone p,ease e-mail the answer? Thanks!

More Win 98 and Solaris 7 questions

Post by John C. Leo » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Win9x does NOT like seeing multiple primary partitions.  Best thing is to
use a product like Partition Magic that can hide the Solaris partition on
demand.

I don't install Partition Magic's boot manager, as it may cause problems
in this setup.  Just create the rescue disk.  The new V4 of the product
puts its entire GUI program on one floppy.  Use it to mark whichever of
the 2 partitions you like as active, and it will automatically "hide" the
other.  Works perfectly.  You can reboot into the selected partition w/o
using the diskette, but to switch OS's, if you setup as I've described,
you'd have to boot with the rescue disk and switch partitions.  Well
worth it in my opinion.

Post by Mike Zanke » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Win9x does NOT like seeing multiple primary partitions.

That's odd - I have three primary partitions on my first hard disk and
Windows 95 (and now Windows 98) is perfectly happy.

Mike
--
Mike Zanker, Milton Keynes, UK

Replace 'abuse' with 'mike' for e-mail reply

1. Solaris 2.6 3/98 vs 5/98?

I think "Solaris 2.6 3/98 + recommended patches"
and "Solaris 2.6 5/98 + recommended patches" bring them to the same
level. Actually "Solaris 2.6 3/98 + recommended patches" is better
since there will be less patch-01, patch-02, patch-05 situation.
--
unix programs: niftp (non-interactive recursive ftp), hide (hide command args),
submit (replace nohup), etc from ftp://ftp.mindspring.com/users/mwang/unix-prog

2. C++ quiz

3. Differences between Solaris 2.6 March 98 and May 98

4. An oops while running 2.5.65-mm2

5. Q: Need 56K modem for Win NT/98/Unix (Redhat/Solaris)

6. Beginner's Unix questions

7. Samba / Win 95 / Win 98 Encryption

8. speeds of win95 and xfree86

9. Partitioning Win 98 drive for Linux question

10. Redhat 8 Multiboot Boot with Win2k/Win 98 - losing Win

11. solaris 7 (x86) and win 98

12. linux / win 98 connectivity question

13. dualbooting Linux & Microsoft platforms (Win 98, NT, Win 2000)