DHCP?

Post by Ultrane » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 04:39:59

I am trying to get DHCP to work on my Intel Solaris 8 laptop. I'm having
trouble getting a default gateway, domain, and DNS name resolution. I've
managed to get the NIC to get an IP address from the DHCP server, so I'm
fairly confident the NIC is installed OK, and that it's making contact with
the DHCP server.

config:
Solaris 8, 4/01 Intel
IBM ThinkPad T20, 256MB RAM
3Com 3C589C PCMCIA - created pcelx1

DHCP server is a Linksys Cable Router BEFSR81, serving up addresses in the
192.168.0.0 private space, attached to a RoadRunner (MediaOne, now AT&T)
supplied cable modem.

I have Solaris set up for DHCP in DCA, and have the following files
configured:
/etc/dhcp.pcelx1 - empty
/etc/hostname.pcelx1 - empty
/etc/hosts - has only the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry, no other lines
/etc/notrouter - empty
/etc/resolv.conf - empty, isn't the DHCP bit supposed to populate this with
the domain as decreed by the DHCP server, and nameserver IPs?
/etc/default/dhcp - has one line "Hostname=iduff", no other lines
/etc/nodename - has "iduff" as only entry
/etc/network - has a line inserted to get hostname from /etc/nodename if the
DHCP server doesn't return it, so I'm not "unknown" <g>
/etc/nsswitch - the line now reads "hosts:  files dns"

I've found conflicting anecdotes about /etc/defaultrouter, some saying an
empty file is needed, others saying no file causes Solaris to get the
default gateway from the DHCP server. I've tried each. An empty file assigns
the default gateway to me, no file assigns the default gateway to the
Linksys router, but with no interface associated with it. In other words,
neither works.

I've tried numerous DHCP release then starts, to no avail.

I' ve done the /etc/nsswitch.conf modification to get it to do name
resolution via DNS, but it doesn't do that either. If I manually put the IP
of the Linksys router in the /etc/defaultrouter to get out to the world, I
can ping any publicly addressed host I want by IP, but not by hostname.

As a reality check, this same Linksys supplies default gateway, domain and
DNS addresses to this same laptop using the same NIC when it's running
Windoze (either 2K or NT4), so I'm fairly confident the Linksys and its
iteration of DHCP aren't the issue.

I've looked at the man pages for ifconfig dhcp, I've looked at BigAdmin
Solaris 8 Intel doc pages, I've looked at all the Google comp.unix.solaris
DHCP search results I can find, and haven't come up with anything useful,
prolly because I'm not smart enough to look in the right place.

What am I missing? Where can I look to learn more, hopefully enough to solve
this? TIA

-Ian Duff.

DHCP?

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 07:30:59

Try putting /etc/defaultrouter with an entry 192.168.0.0

Ed

> I am trying to get DHCP to work on my Intel Solaris 8 laptop. I'm having
> trouble getting a default gateway, domain, and DNS name resolution. I've
> managed to get the NIC to get an IP address from the DHCP server, so I'm
> fairly confident the NIC is installed OK, and that it's making contact with
> the DHCP server.

> config:
> Solaris 8, 4/01 Intel
> IBM ThinkPad T20, 256MB RAM
> 3Com 3C589C PCMCIA - created pcelx1

> DHCP server is a Linksys Cable Router BEFSR81, serving up addresses in the
> 192.168.0.0 private space, attached to a RoadRunner (MediaOne, now AT&T)
> supplied cable modem.

> I have Solaris set up for DHCP in DCA, and have the following files
> configured:
> /etc/dhcp.pcelx1 - empty
> /etc/hostname.pcelx1 - empty
> /etc/hosts - has only the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry, no other lines
> /etc/notrouter - empty
> /etc/resolv.conf - empty, isn't the DHCP bit supposed to populate this with
> the domain as decreed by the DHCP server, and nameserver IPs?
> /etc/default/dhcp - has one line "Hostname=iduff", no other lines
> /etc/nodename - has "iduff" as only entry
> /etc/network - has a line inserted to get hostname from /etc/nodename if the
> DHCP server doesn't return it, so I'm not "unknown" <g>
> /etc/nsswitch - the line now reads "hosts:  files dns"

> I've found conflicting anecdotes about /etc/defaultrouter, some saying an
> empty file is needed, others saying no file causes Solaris to get the
> default gateway from the DHCP server. I've tried each. An empty file assigns
> the default gateway to me, no file assigns the default gateway to the
> Linksys router, but with no interface associated with it. In other words,
> neither works.

> I've tried numerous DHCP release then starts, to no avail.

> I' ve done the /etc/nsswitch.conf modification to get it to do name
> resolution via DNS, but it doesn't do that either. If I manually put the IP
> of the Linksys router in the /etc/defaultrouter to get out to the world, I
> can ping any publicly addressed host I want by IP, but not by hostname.

> As a reality check, this same Linksys supplies default gateway, domain and
> DNS addresses to this same laptop using the same NIC when it's running
> Windoze (either 2K or NT4), so I'm fairly confident the Linksys and its
> iteration of DHCP aren't the issue.

> I've looked at the man pages for ifconfig dhcp, I've looked at BigAdmin
> Solaris 8 Intel doc pages, I've looked at all the Google comp.unix.solaris
> DHCP search results I can find, and haven't come up with anything useful,
> prolly because I'm not smart enough to look in the right place.

> What am I missing? Where can I look to learn more, hopefully enough to solve
> this? TIA

> -Ian Duff.

DHCP?

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 07:32:30

I should have said 192.168.x.x which ever value you had put in on the Linksys
router.

> Try putting /etc/defaultrouter with an entry 192.168.0.0

> Ed

> > I am trying to get DHCP to work on my Intel Solaris 8 laptop. I'm having
> > trouble getting a default gateway, domain, and DNS name resolution. I've
> > managed to get the NIC to get an IP address from the DHCP server, so I'm
> > fairly confident the NIC is installed OK, and that it's making contact with
> > the DHCP server.

> > config:
> > Solaris 8, 4/01 Intel
> > IBM ThinkPad T20, 256MB RAM
> > 3Com 3C589C PCMCIA - created pcelx1

> > DHCP server is a Linksys Cable Router BEFSR81, serving up addresses in the
> > 192.168.0.0 private space, attached to a RoadRunner (MediaOne, now AT&T)
> > supplied cable modem.

> > I have Solaris set up for DHCP in DCA, and have the following files
> > configured:
> > /etc/dhcp.pcelx1 - empty
> > /etc/hostname.pcelx1 - empty
> > /etc/hosts - has only the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry, no other lines
> > /etc/notrouter - empty
> > /etc/resolv.conf - empty, isn't the DHCP bit supposed to populate this with
> > the domain as decreed by the DHCP server, and nameserver IPs?
> > /etc/default/dhcp - has one line "Hostname=iduff", no other lines
> > /etc/nodename - has "iduff" as only entry
> > /etc/network - has a line inserted to get hostname from /etc/nodename if the
> > DHCP server doesn't return it, so I'm not "unknown" <g>
> > /etc/nsswitch - the line now reads "hosts:  files dns"

> > I've found conflicting anecdotes about /etc/defaultrouter, some saying an
> > empty file is needed, others saying no file causes Solaris to get the
> > default gateway from the DHCP server. I've tried each. An empty file assigns
> > the default gateway to me, no file assigns the default gateway to the
> > Linksys router, but with no interface associated with it. In other words,
> > neither works.

> > I've tried numerous DHCP release then starts, to no avail.

> > I' ve done the /etc/nsswitch.conf modification to get it to do name
> > resolution via DNS, but it doesn't do that either. If I manually put the IP
> > of the Linksys router in the /etc/defaultrouter to get out to the world, I
> > can ping any publicly addressed host I want by IP, but not by hostname.

> > As a reality check, this same Linksys supplies default gateway, domain and
> > DNS addresses to this same laptop using the same NIC when it's running
> > Windoze (either 2K or NT4), so I'm fairly confident the Linksys and its
> > iteration of DHCP aren't the issue.

> > I've looked at the man pages for ifconfig dhcp, I've looked at BigAdmin
> > Solaris 8 Intel doc pages, I've looked at all the Google comp.unix.solaris
> > DHCP search results I can find, and haven't come up with anything useful,
> > prolly because I'm not smart enough to look in the right place.

> > What am I missing? Where can I look to learn more, hopefully enough to solve
> > this? TIA

> > -Ian Duff.

DHCP?

Post by Ultrane » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 12:01:18

I've done that, and it allows me to get to hosts by IP address, but not by
hostname. I'd prefer to let DHCP fill it in, however, since I take my laptop
to more than one location, each with their own DHCP address scheme. Wha can
I do to get it to be populated by DHCP, and how do I get DNS name resolution
working?
-Ian Duff.

> [...]

> > > can ping any publicly addressed host I want by IP, but not by
hostname.

> > > As a reality check, this same Linksys supplies default gateway, domain
and
> > > DNS addresses to this same laptop using the same NIC when it's running
> > > Windoze (either 2K or NT4), so I'm fairly confident the Linksys and
its
> > > iteration of DHCP aren't the issue.

> > > I've looked at the man pages for ifconfig dhcp, I've looked at
BigAdmin
> > > Solaris 8 Intel doc pages, I've looked at all the Google
comp.unix.solaris
> > > DHCP search results I can find, and haven't come up with anything
useful,
> > > prolly because I'm not smart enough to look in the right place.

> > > What am I missing? Where can I look to learn more, hopefully enough to

DHCP?

Post by Bayly Ele » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 20:16:20

Put your isp's dns sevrer adresseses in resolv.conf. Here's an example:

nameserver    151.164.1.8
nameserver    151.164.1.7

That should "resolve" hostnames for you.

Bayly

> I've done that, and it allows me to get to hosts by IP address, but not by
> hostname. I'd prefer to let DHCP fill it in, however, since I take my
laptop
> to more than one location, each with their own DHCP address scheme. Wha
can
> I do to get it to be populated by DHCP, and how do I get DNS name
resolution
> working?
> -Ian Duff.

> > I should have said 192.168.x.x which ever value you had put in on the
> Linksys
> > router.

> > > Try putting /etc/defaultrouter with an entry 192.168.0.0

> > > Ed

> having
> I've
> I'm
> with

> the
> AT&T)

> with
> if the

> an
> assigns
> words,

> the IP
> world, I
> hostname.

> and
> its

> BigAdmin
> comp.unix.solaris
> useful,

> solve

DHCP?

Post by Ultrane » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 22:37:40

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions.

What I'm really interested in is how to get my Solaris laptop and a DHCP
server to negotiate this automagically. When I move to another DHCP network,
which I do with some regularity, I'd like it to work when I turn it on.
Manually entering addresses kinda defeats the purpose of DHCP.

-Ian Duff.

> Put your isp's dns sevrer adresseses in resolv.conf. Here's an example:

> nameserver    151.164.1.8
> nameserver    151.164.1.7

> That should "resolve" hostnames for you.

> Bayly

> > I've done that, and it allows me to get to hosts by IP address, but not
by
> > hostname. I'd prefer to let DHCP fill it in, however, since I take my
> laptop
> > to more than one location, each with their own DHCP address scheme. Wha
> can
> > I do to get it to be populated by DHCP, and how do I get DNS name
> resolution
> > working?
> > -Ian Duff.

> > > I should have said 192.168.x.x which ever value you had put in on the
> > Linksys
> > > router.

> > having
> > I've
> > I'm
> contact
> > with

> in
> > the
> > AT&T)

> this
> > with
> /etc/nodename
> > if the

> saying
> > an
> the
> > assigns
> the
> > words,

> > the IP
> > world, I
> > hostname.

> domain
> > and
> running
> > its

> > BigAdmin
> > comp.unix.solaris
> > useful,

> > solve

DHCP?

Post by Joe Durusa » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 04:04:02

        There is no standard way to automagically figure out the dns
ip address. If you only have two networks in mind, I suppose that you
could
write a startup script to set the dns entry based on the network address
assienged to the system.  You would have to make this script run after
whatever script interacts with the dhcp server.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> Thanks to all who have offered suggestions.

> What I'm really interested in is how to get my Solaris laptop and a DHCP
> server to negotiate this automagically. When I move to another DHCP network,
> which I do with some regularity, I'd like it to work when I turn it on.
> Manually entering addresses kinda defeats the purpose of DHCP.

> -Ian Duff.

> > Put your isp's dns sevrer adresseses in resolv.conf. Here's an example:

> > nameserver    151.164.1.8
> > nameserver    151.164.1.7

> > That should "resolve" hostnames for you.

> > Bayly

> > > I've done that, and it allows me to get to hosts by IP address, but not
> by
> > > hostname. I'd prefer to let DHCP fill it in, however, since I take my
> > laptop
> > > to more than one location, each with their own DHCP address scheme. Wha
> > can
> > > I do to get it to be populated by DHCP, and how do I get DNS name
> > resolution
> > > working?
> > > -Ian Duff.

> > > Linksys

> > > having
> resolution.
> > > I've
> so
> > > I'm
> > contact
> > > with

> addresses
> > in
> > > the
> > > AT&T)

> files
> lines
> > this
> > > with
> > /etc/nodename
> > > if the

> > saying
> > > an
> > the
> file
> > > assigns
> > the
> > > words,

> name
> put
> > > the IP
> > > world, I
> > > hostname.

> > domain
> > > and
> > running
> and
> > > its

> > > BigAdmin
> > > comp.unix.solaris
> > > useful,

> enough
> > > solve

DHCP?

Post by Dave Mine » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 02:15:56

> I am trying to get DHCP to work on my Intel Solaris 8 laptop. I'm having
> trouble getting a default gateway, domain, and DNS name resolution. I've
> managed to get the NIC to get an IP address from the DHCP server, so I'm
> fairly confident the NIC is installed OK, and that it's making contact with
> the DHCP server.

If the DHCP server supplies the DNS parameters to the client, they'll be
automatically configured, as /etc/init.d/inetsvc handles that.  The
linksys being a rather stupid DHCP server, you likely need to add the
parameters to the parameter request list which will be sent by the
dhcpagent so that it will include those in the response (most "real"
DHCP servers will send additional items configured by their
administrator whether the client requests them or not).  You set these
in the /etc/default/dhcpagent file, which is referenced in the dhcpagent
man page.  The line which has

PARAM_REQUEST_LIST=1,3,12,43

needs to have the additional options requested added to it; for DNS,
these would be 6 (DNS server) and 15 (DNS domain).  The default list
includes requesting the default router, so that should be set correctly
already.

Dave

DHCP?

Post by Philip Bro » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 04:22:59

>Thanks to all who have offered suggestions.

>What I'm really interested in is how to get my Solaris laptop and a DHCP
>server to negotiate this automagically. When I move to another DHCP network,
>which I do with some regularity, I'd like it to work when I turn it on.
>Manually entering addresses kinda defeats the purpose of DHCP.

The solaris dhcp routines should actually handle it automatically, IIRC.

Assuming they do actually set it in dhcp variables, rather than some other
odd method.

look through /etc/init.d/inetsvc, for the section where it uses
dhcpinfo.

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. RH 5.1 flawless ftp-dhcp install; dhcp config retained; dhcp fails @ boot

DHCP fails to configure a network connection, even after it worked
wonderfully for an ftp install of RH 5.1 and I retained the network
configuration during the install process.  The relevant message on the
console during bootup is: DHCP ... failed.  The only message in
/var/log/messages that appears to be relevant is "no DHCPOFFER".
/sbin/ifconfig lists nothing for eth0.

A number of modules relevant to DHCP are loaded. I assume that all
necessary modules have been loaded.  The eithernet card also appears
to be correctly recognized.

I've read but not yet tried the Red Hat hacks listed in the DHCPcd
mini-HOWTO.  Has anyone successfully used these on RH 5.1?

Thanks,
Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. cdrom

3. DHCP Linux Client at NT-DHCP Server

4. Linux on Micron P90 PCI? Does it work?

5. Windows NT DHCP clients and SunOS 4.x BOOTPD+DHCP patches

6. PINE/ELM configuration

7. DHCP: How do I configure DHCP server dynamically?????

8. NIS+ users cannot login through XDM

9. Sunray as DHCP client to NT DHCP server

10. dhcp on RedHat 5.1 and dhcp relay agent on NT 4.0

11. 3com 905b gets Ip address by using DHCP from NT DHCP server

12. Modifying dhcp options using omshell (ISC DHCP Implementation)

13. Doesn't like using DHCP as an option if no DHCP is available