Gigabit Ethernet Driver for UltraSparcs.

Gigabit Ethernet Driver for UltraSparcs.

Post by vrod_ri » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:24:26

Hello,  I finished up a 3c905 driver for UltraSparcs, running both 64 & 32
bits.   I have a question now.  Is there any need for a Gig-E card driver?  I
was thinking about moving forward with a new project, and a Gig-E came to
mind.

Just thought I would ask.

duane.

Gigabit Ethernet Driver for UltraSparcs.

Post by Michael Laajane » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 05:38:00

HI,

> Hello,  I finished up a 3c905 driver for UltraSparcs, running both 64 & 32
> bits.   I have a question now.  Is there any need for a Gig-E card driver?  I
> was thinking about moving forward with a new project, and a Gig-E came to
> mind.

> Just thought I would ask.

No need to ask :)

Sure that would be great to have.

What chip would you try to develop for, would you for the low end GBE
boards or a high end?

I think low end would be best, for high end SUN has a GBE already but no
low end.

/michael

1. Is jumbo ethernet MTU possible with Hamachi Gigabit ethernet driver?

I'm trying to get some Gigabit ethernet cards that use the Packet
Engines Hamachi GNIC-II chip to use a large mtu to attempt to get a
throughput of close to the 1Gb rating of the card.  This is on a Compact
PCI Alpha system.  I'm trying to use an MTU in the 8000 to 9000 range
and so far have not been able to get these MTUs to work.

I have changed the PKT_BUF_SZ and MAX_FRAME_SIZE constants in hamachi.c
and ETH_DATA_LEN and ETH_FRAME_LEN in if_ether.h.  I can use ifconfig to
change the MTU above 1500 on one side of a connection but as soon as I
raise the MTU on both sides to greater than 1500 the link dies.  I can
change the MTU with ifconfig back to 1500 and the link will resume
operation.  We are currently somewhat married to the 2.2.14 kernel.

I read that some ethernet drivers will support jumbo MTUs.  There
appears to be something in the hamachi driver or the kernel that I've
missed.  Perhaps this only works with a later version kernel or the
hamachi driver needs more changes?  Any help would be appreciated.

John Weidman

-

2. i need a own endwin

3. gigabit ethernet performance - Solaris 2.6, gem ethernet driver

4. g77 build with gcc 2.6.3

5. sparc driver for intel pro/1000 gigabit ethernet card?

6. [Anyone have PPP running wit DIP?]

7. Gigabit Ethernet Driver .....

8. Red Hat 5.0 kernel sources unpatchable?

9. Linux device driver for Marvell Gigabit Ethernet Chip

10. patch to acenic driver for Farallon PN9100-T Gigabit Ethernet (copper)

11. Marvell Gigabit Ethernet driver

12. Alteon Gigabit Ethernet Solaris 7 driver

13. Driver for Intel 82543GC gigabit ethernet