NFS mounting a vold mounted CD-ROM

Post by Glenn Leave » Thu, 30 Jun 1994 07:29:02

Using Solaris 2.3, I am having trouble NFS mounting a CD-ROM filesystem
that was mounted with the volume manager (vold) on its local system.
The mount itself succeeds, but there is never any real data available
under the mount point.  The volume manager seems to provide links such
that the CD-ROM filesystem is available both under /cdrom and under /vol,
so I've tried NFS mounting both of those, but with no luck.

If however, I turn off vold for the CD-ROM and just manually mount it
with something like:

  mount -r -F hsfs /dev/c0t6d0s2 /cdrom

I can then NFS mount the /cdrom filesystem on another machine without
any problems.

Does anyone know how to properly NFS mount a filesystem that was
orginally mounted by the volume manager on its local filesystem?  Perhaps
there is a specific directory that I must NFS mount?

Thanks very much.

--

     University Computing and Networking Services, Athens, GA 30602-1911

:
: If however, I turn off vold for the CD-ROM and just manually mount it
: with something like:
:
:   mount -r -F hsfs /dev/c0t6d0s2 /cdrom
:
: I can then NFS mount the /cdrom filesystem on another machine without
: any problems.
:
: Does anyone know how to properly NFS mount a filesystem that was
: orginally mounted by the volume manager on its local filesystem?  Perhaps
: there is a specific directory that I must NFS mount?
:
: Thanks very much.
:
: --

:      University Computing and Networking Services, Athens, GA 30602-1911

Glenn:

You need to use the "share ..." option in rmmount's config file,
/etc/rmmount.conf.  See rmmount.conf(4).  Basically, you put something like:

        share cdrom* -o ro

at the end of the file.  One additional note: this will work find if you're
already NFS-exporting at least one other file system from this system.  This
is because Solaris only starts nfsd and mountd if you have at least one NFS
export listed in /etc/dfs/dfstab.  I just put the following in dfstab:

        share -F nfs -o ro -d "hosed nfsd startup" /usr/local

(since I don't need to export anything).

Alternately, you could just start (as root):

        # /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd -a 16
        # /usr/lib/nfs/mountd

As I said, though, if you're already exporting other filesystems, then you
don't have to worry about this.
--

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true
or becomes true.  -- John Lilly

Sunsoft, INC                                Rocky Mountain Technology Center

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. Installing Caldera 2.2 on a logical drive

3. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

4. Red-Hat 4.2 Urgent!!!!

5. ``VOLD'' refuses to mount cd-rom

6. font help please

7. set-uid programs on a vold-mounted CD-ROM?

8. checking online state of ippp0

9. waiting for vold to mount CD-ROM

10. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

11. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

12. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

13. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop