sparc II install over network

Post by Jim Valavani » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I don't have a cd-rom on this sparc II and wanted to install solaris on
it.  I know how to do it on later verions of the BIOS.  The bios on this
machine is ROM Rev. 2.4.

Is there anyway to do this?

If so how.

TIA,

Jim

sparc II install over network

Post by Jim Valavani » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I don't have a cd-rom on this sparc II and wanted to install solaris on
> it.  I know how to do it on later verions of the BIOS.  The bios on this
> machine is ROM Rev. 2.4.

> Is there anyway to do this?

> If so how.

> TIA,

> Jim

Actually I can change the boot-device to be net but I need to know how to
read the solaris cd from a Linux machine.

Any clues?

Jim

sparc II install over network

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Actually I can change the boot-device to be net but I need to know how to
>read the solaris cd from a Linux machine.

The Solaris CD is mostly HSFS (ISO 9660) and that part is what should be
readable on the Linux system.

Further more, you would need a:

        - RARP server (maps ethernet -> IP address)
        - TFTP server (to get the inetboot file)
        - BOOTPARAM server (to get all the rest of the information)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

|>Actually I can change the boot-device to be net but I need to know how to
|>read the solaris cd from a Linux machine.
|
|The Solaris CD is mostly HSFS (ISO 9660) and that part is what should be
|readable on the Linux system.
|
|Further more, you would need a:
|
|       - RARP server (maps ethernet -> IP address)
|       - TFTP server (to get the inetboot file)
|       - BOOTPARAM server (to get all the rest of the information)

NFS server also?

Post by Jim Valavani » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

> >Actually I can change the boot-device to be net but I need to know how to
> >read the solaris cd from a Linux machine.

> The Solaris CD is mostly HSFS (ISO 9660) and that part is what should be
> readable on the Linux system.

> Further more, you would need a:

>         - RARP server (maps ethernet -> IP address)
>         - TFTP server (to get the inetboot file)
>         - BOOTPARAM server (to get all the rest of the information)

> Casper
> --
> Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
> to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
> Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
> be fiction rather than truth.

O.K.  So say I enable RARP in my linux kernel and also BOOTP and as a TFTP
server... and NFS....

What steps do I need to take to get the sparc II to boot off of the server.

ie.  What directories do I need to put things in for the sparc to find, etc.?

I've done this with sun to sun systems before but I'm not sure how to go
about this using a different system like Linux.

Thanks again for the input.

Jim

1. Installing SuperSparc-II modules in Sparc 10 model 30

We are currently running Solaris 2.3 (no hardware version of the OS).
We just received two SuperSPARC-II cpu modules for our Sparc 10 Model 30
system and the documentation says that we need to be running Solaris 2.3,
Hardware 8/94.  We just received this CD. The question we have now is,
do we have to do a new install of the OS?  or Is there a way we can just install
the packages that give support to the sparc-II modules?  What are the packages
called?  I have called SUN Support and they don't know and are researching
the question.

Are there any differences between SuperSPARC-II modules and SuperSPARC modules
besides the speed?  Will two SuperSPARC modules work with the current version
of Solaris 2.3 we have?

thanks.

suzanna

--
--------------------------------+---------------------------
Suzanna Vasquez Gonzales        |  Unix System Administrator

2. Red Hat firewall installation?

3. Install xrn on SPARC II with Solaris 2.3

4. Info development tools (Fortran & C++)

5. Getting installed Caldera Network Desktop Preview II with a 3c589B

6. Hp Colorado 14Gig

7. Newbie: Network Card install (PNIC II)

8. ftp masq through port 666 ???

9. Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

10. Sparc LX Network install?

11. Sparc linux network install problem!

12. install Solaris on SPARC over network

13. Prob with network install to SPARC ELC