Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Post by Peter Rohrma » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:10:54

Hello All,

When I telnet or ssh out from my Sun Blade running SunOS 5.9, my
sessions seem to time out rather quickly.  I know it's not the far end
that is disconnecting the sessions, so it must be my workstation.  Is
there someway to set the idle-timeout on outbound (client side) telnet
and ssh connections?

Thank you for the help.

Pete

Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Post by Peter Rohrma » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:57:54

Hi Again,

When I say that my sessions time out "rather quickly" I mean that if I
don't make a key stroke within 5 minutes, my telnet or ssh session
stops, and I'm thrown back into my local workstation's tcsh prompt.  I
know that it is my workstation that is timing out the sessions because
1) I config'ed the cisco router that I telneted to to have a time out of
1 hour on the vty session, and 2) when I telnet back in (after my
session drops) I can see that my old vty session is still active from
the router's point of view.  When I ssh to a Red Hat Fedora box, my
sessions idle time out within 5 minutes of me not making a keystroke.  I
have a feeling that it is my local workstation that is dropping the
session because when I ssh back into the Red Hat Fedora box (after my
session has idle timed out), I do a netstat -a, and I can see that the
Fedora box still has the session as  Established.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

Pete

> Hello All,

> When I telnet or ssh out from my Sun Blade running SunOS 5.9, my
> sessions seem to time out rather quickly.  I know it's not the far end
> that is disconnecting the sessions, so it must be my workstation.  Is
> there someway to set the idle-timeout on outbound (client side) telnet
> and ssh connections?

> Thank you for the help.

> Pete

Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:29:24

Quote:> Hi Again,

> When I say that my sessions time out "rather quickly" I mean that if I
> don't make a key stroke within 5 minutes, my telnet or ssh session
> stops, and I'm thrown back into my local workstation's tcsh prompt.  I
> know that it is my workstation that is timing out the sessions because
> 1) I config'ed the cisco router that I telneted to to have a time out of
> 1 hour on the vty session, and 2) when I telnet back in (after my
> session drops) I can see that my old vty session is still active from
> the router's point of view.  When I ssh to a Red Hat Fedora box, my
> sessions idle time out within 5 minutes of me not making a keystroke.  I
> have a feeling that it is my local workstation that is dropping the
> session because when I ssh back into the Red Hat Fedora box (after my
> session has idle timed out), I do a netstat -a, and I can see that the
> Fedora box still has the session as  Established.

If the client were dropping the connection, they server would see the
connection close and it would kill the processes running from that
connection.

Do you have a firewall in the path?  Maybe it has an idle connection
timeout.

--

Arlington, MA

Post by Roger P. Johnso » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:59:20

>>Hi Again,

>>When I say that my sessions time out "rather quickly" I mean that if I
>>don't make a key stroke within 5 minutes, my telnet or ssh session
>>stops, and I'm thrown back into my local workstation's tcsh prompt.  I
>>know that it is my workstation that is timing out the sessions because
>>1) I config'ed the cisco router that I telneted to to have a time out of
>>1 hour on the vty session, and 2) when I telnet back in (after my
>>session drops) I can see that my old vty session is still active from
>>the router's point of view.  When I ssh to a Red Hat Fedora box, my
>>sessions idle time out within 5 minutes of me not making a keystroke.  I
>>have a feeling that it is my local workstation that is dropping the
>>session because when I ssh back into the Red Hat Fedora box (after my
>>session has idle timed out), I do a netstat -a, and I can see that the
>>Fedora box still has the session as  Established.

> If the client were dropping the connection, they server would see the
> connection close and it would kill the processes running from that
> connection.

> Do you have a firewall in the path?  Maybe it has an idle connection
> timeout.

Maybe not related but I had a very similar incident from my Solaris 9
box at home through the internet to a Solaris 9/ipfilter v3.x firewall
redirecting to the actual server, a Solaris 9 box. As long as I use the
connection, everything is fine. Then after about 5 minutes of no
activity IIRC, my connection was lost. I think I use to do a ping every
minute to the server to keep the connection open. After upgrading to
ipfilter v4.x, the problem went away. I can be idle for days w/o loosing
the connection.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:14:12

> If the client were dropping the connection, they server would see the
> connection close and it would kill the processes running from that
> connection.

> Do you have a firewall in the path?  Maybe it has an idle connection
> timeout.

The timeout seems to exist at the server end.  From my s10_b63 ssh client
I have a 6 1/2 day old connection to an OpenBSD server running a PF
firewall.

But my connection gets dropped after a short idle time when connected to a
remote IRIX box running no firewall.

Post by Sico Brui » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:32:31

>> If the client were dropping the connection, they server would
>> see the connection close and it would kill the processes
>> running from that connection.

>> Do you have a firewall in the path?  Maybe it has an idle connection
>> timeout.

>The timeout seems to exist at the server end.  From my s10_b63 ssh client
>I have a 6 1/2 day old connection to an OpenBSD server running a PF
>firewall.

>But my connection gets dropped after a short idle time when connected to a
>remote IRIX box running no firewall.

Funny, I always have this * inactivity timeout when ssh'ing out from
my OpenBSD box, whether the server runs Solaris or Linux. So it might be
the OpenSSH client...

CU, Sico.

Post by Frank da Cru » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:46:34

: When I telnet or ssh out from my Sun Blade running SunOS 5.9, my
: sessions seem to time out rather quickly.  I know it's not the far end
: that is disconnecting the sessions, so it must be my workstation.  Is
: there someway to set the idle-timeout on outbound (client side) telnet
: and ssh connections?
:
If you use C-Kermit as your client:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

you can use:

SET TERMINAL IDLE-TIMEOUT <number>
  Sets the limit on idle time in CONNECT mode to the given number of
  seconds.  0 (the default) means no limit.

SET TERMINAL IDLE-ACTION { EXIT, HANGUP, OUTPUT [ text ], RETURN }
  Specifies the action to be taken when a CONNECT session is idle for the
  number of seconds given by SET TERMINAL IDLE-TIMEOUT.  The default action
  is to RETURN to command mode.  EXIT exits from Kermit; HANGUP hangs up the
  connection, and OUTPUT sends the given text to the host without leaving
  CONNECT mode; if no text is given a NUL (0) character is sent.

And for Telnet connections:

SET TERMINAL IDLE-ACTION { TELNET-NOP, TELNET-AYT }
  Sends the indicated Telnet protocol message: No Operation (NOP) or
  "Are You There?" (AYT).

For SSH connections, you'll have to send something in the data stream --
a NUL or Space character, for example.

- Frank

Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Post by Peter Rohrma » Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:45:04

Barry,

I totaly forgot about the possibility of the firewall timing out my
idle-connection.  I've have to snoop around to see if that is doing me
damage.  I'll bet that is the answer.  Thank you for your input.  I'll
reply back after I get some time to play with the firewall.  Hopefully
today.

Pete

Post by Peter Rohrma » Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:45:52

Barry,

I totaly forgot about the possibility of the firewall timing out my
idle-connection.  I've have to snoop around to see if that is doing me
damage.  I'll bet that is the answer.  Thank you for your input.  I'll
reply back after I get some time to play with the firewall.  Hopefully
today.

Pete

>>Hi Again,

>>When I say that my sessions time out "rather quickly" I mean that if I
>>don't make a key stroke within 5 minutes, my telnet or ssh session
>>stops, and I'm thrown back into my local workstation's tcsh prompt.  I
>>know that it is my workstation that is timing out the sessions because
>>1) I config'ed the cisco router that I telneted to to have a time out of
>>1 hour on the vty session, and 2) when I telnet back in (after my
>>session drops) I can see that my old vty session is still active from
>>the router's point of view.  When I ssh to a Red Hat Fedora box, my
>>sessions idle time out within 5 minutes of me not making a keystroke.  I
>>have a feeling that it is my local workstation that is dropping the
>>session because when I ssh back into the Red Hat Fedora box (after my
>>session has idle timed out), I do a netstat -a, and I can see that the
>>Fedora box still has the session as  Established.

> If the client were dropping the connection, they server would see the
> connection close and it would kill the processes running from that
> connection.

> Do you have a firewall in the path?  Maybe it has an idle connection
> timeout.

Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Post by Peter Rohrma » Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:54:19

Barry & All,

I found a 5 minute network inactivity setting in my firewall.  I just
set it to 60 min.  I'll bet that was it.  I'll know more in a few minutes.

Thank you.  I can't believe that I didn't think of my firewall as the cause.

Pete

>>Hi Again,

>>When I say that my sessions time out "rather quickly" I mean that if I
>>don't make a key stroke within 5 minutes, my telnet or ssh session
>>stops, and I'm thrown back into my local workstation's tcsh prompt.  I
>>know that it is my workstation that is timing out the sessions because
>>1) I config'ed the cisco router that I telneted to to have a time out of
>>1 hour on the vty session, and 2) when I telnet back in (after my
>>session drops) I can see that my old vty session is still active from
>>the router's point of view.  When I ssh to a Red Hat Fedora box, my
>>sessions idle time out within 5 minutes of me not making a keystroke.  I
>>have a feeling that it is my local workstation that is dropping the
>>session because when I ssh back into the Red Hat Fedora box (after my
>>session has idle timed out), I do a netstat -a, and I can see that the
>>Fedora box still has the session as  Established.

> If the client were dropping the connection, they server would see the
> connection close and it would kill the processes running from that
> connection.

> Do you have a firewall in the path?  Maybe it has an idle connection
> timeout.

Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Post by Peter Rohrma » Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:21:00

Setting the network inactvity to 60 minutes on the firewall didn't work.
  Maybe my firewall is funky.  I'll have to get with the firewall maker.

Pete

> Barry & All,

> I found a 5 minute network inactivity setting in my firewall.  I just
> set it to 60 min.  I'll bet that was it.  I'll know more in a few minutes.

> Thank you.  I can't believe that I didn't think of my firewall as the
> cause.

> Pete

>>> Hi Again,

>>> When I say that my sessions time out "rather quickly" I mean that if
>>> I don't make a key stroke within 5 minutes, my telnet or ssh session
>>> stops, and I'm thrown back into my local workstation's tcsh prompt.
>>> I know that it is my workstation that is timing out the sessions
>>> because 1) I config'ed the cisco router that I telneted to to have a
>>> time out of 1 hour on the vty session, and 2) when I telnet back in
>>> (after my session drops) I can see that my old vty session is still
>>> active from the router's point of view.  When I ssh to a Red Hat
>>> Fedora box, my sessions idle time out within 5 minutes of me not
>>> making a keystroke.  I have a feeling that it is my local workstation
>>> that is dropping the session because when I ssh back into the Red Hat
>>> Fedora box (after my session has idle timed out), I do a netstat -a,
>>> and I can see that the Fedora box still has the session as  Established.

>> If the client were dropping the connection, they server would see the
>> connection close and it would kill the processes running from that
>> connection.

>> Do you have a firewall in the path?  Maybe it has an idle connection
>> timeout.

1. Telnet/Ssh idle timeout

Hi,

I have a RH6.2, on Netfinity 3500, my problem is the 'automatic' logout of
telnet/ssh session. I have try to set AUTOLOGOUT=0 and/or TMOUT=7200, but
this machine disconnect my user after 180 second...I have look on
/etc/bashrc & /etc/profile & ...don't have more ideas, my var 'set' is this:

BASH=/bin/bash
BASH_ENV=/home/tanya/.bashrc
BASH_VERSION=1.14.7(1)
COLUMNS=132
EUID=500
HISTFILE=/home/tanya/.bash_history
HISTFILESIZE=1000
HISTSIZE=1000
HOME=/home/tanya
HOSTNAME=greenhat.pippillu.it
HOSTTYPE=i386
IFS=

INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
KDEDIR=/usr
LANG=it
LC_ALL=it_IT
LESSOPEN=|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s
LINES=57
LOGNAME=tanya
LS_COLORS=no=00:fi=00:di=01;34:ln=01;36:pi=40;33:so=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;
33;01:or=01;05;37;41:mi=01;05;37;41:ex=01;32:*.cmd=01;32:*.exe=01;32:*.com=0
1;32:*.btm=01;32:*.bat=01;32:*.sh=01;32:*.csh=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:
*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*.lzh=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.gz=01;
31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.
gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.tif=01;35:
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/tanya
MAILCHECK=60
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OSTYPE=Linux
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/tanya/bin
PPID=11309

PS2=>
PS4=+
PWD=/home/tanya
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHLVL=1
SSH_CLIENT=192.168.1.1 11976 22
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/0
SYSFONT=lat1-16
SYSTERM=linux-lat
TERM=vt100
TMOUT=7200
UID=500
USER=tanya
USERNAME=
_=PATH
kdepath=/usr/bin
mc=()
{
    mkdir -p ~/.mc/tmp 2>/dev/null;
    chmod 700 ~/.mc/tmp;
    MC=~/.mc/tmp/mc-$$;

    cd "`cat $MC`";
    /bin/rm "$MC";
    unset MC

2. 2.2.1 Kernel + IP MASQ + Port Forwarding + PPTP

3. Telnet / SSH Idle Timeout

4. Partition sizes for Linux????

5. idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

6. echo command

7. SSH login, idle timeout

8. apache v1.1.1

9. telnet idle timeout

10. Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

11. idle Telnet timeout

12. set idle timeout for telnet and wu-ftpd