Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

Post by Wiley Sande » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

As I install version after version of the jumbo patch (101318 for 5.3
in this case) on my system, is it safe to delete the directory tree for
old versions of the patch in /var/sadm/patch/101318* that are older
than the most recent one (or two) I installed? If you've done this let
me know.

I ruined a system and had to reinstall once because I backed out an old
rev of the patch (N minus something) AFTER installing version N. I attribute
that to backoutpatch getting confused and deleting something from the
necessary system files, rather than losing something from the directory
in /var/sadm/patch/101318*.

Installpatch grovels around a bit in /var/sadm/patch/<patchnum>. I'll
check to see exactly what its behavior is. The world needs an answer
because....well, who needs to start installing a 100 MB /var on every
system. You never know how much room you re going to need for patches
these days!

-w

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sun, 25 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>As I install version after version of the jumbo patch (101318 for 5.3
>in this case) on my system, is it safe to delete the directory tree for
>old versions of the patch in /var/sadm/patch/101318* that are older
>than the most recent one (or two) I installed? If you've done this let
>me know.

Check ftp.fwi.uva.nl:/pub/solaris/auto-install/*.  In those archives there
are two perl scripts: fastpatch and rm-patchdata.  The scripts should be
able to remove the old patchdata.  We did mostly use them to
backout all obsoleted patches when installing a new patch and removing
iadminstratively the non-saved patches.  rm-patchdata should be able to
remove patches that have their old files saved.

Quote:>I ruined a system and had to reinstall once because I backed out an old
>rev of the patch (N minus something) AFTER installing version N. I attribute
>that to backoutpatch getting confused and deleting something from the
>necessary system files, rather than losing something from the directory
>in /var/sadm/patch/101318*.

Newer versions of backoutpatch will check for such situations and remove
to backoutthe patch.  The "do-patch" script included in the archives
listed above will backout the relevant patches before installing
new versions.

Quote:>Installpatch grovels around a bit in /var/sadm/patch/<patchnum>. I'll
>check to see exactly what its behavior is. The world needs an answer
>because....well, who needs to start installing a 100 MB /var on every
>system. You never know how much room you re going to need for patches
>these days!

I never felt inclined to save any of the old patch stuff on clients.
Clients should be auto-installable from scratch w/o needing further
fixes, so that with the occasional bad patch you can re-install it
(or as I have done, remove the administrative fixes for the bad patch
with rm-patchdata and installing a new version of the patch).

Casper
--
Casper Dik - Network Security Engineer - Sun Microsystems
This article is posted from my guest account at the University

Opinions expressed here are mine (but you're welcome to share them with me)