Solaris CDE: FrontPanel config questions

Solaris CDE: FrontPanel config questions

Post by Eugene Di » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I am running Solaris 2.5 using CDE 1.0.2 (?) and dtwm. The frontpanel is nice,
but there are a few things I wish I could do with it --

(1) I would like the mailer button beep, in addition to the change of icon,
when mail comes in. I know that if I have a version of dtmail running I can
get this done easily. But then what's the point of having the front palen? :-)

(2) Similarly, I have to run a copy of dtcm to get the calendar working,
another redundancy. Could the date button run a copy of dtcm in background?

(3) Is there a way of turning off icons (as one can do with Fvwm) and us a
task manager? It is hard to track what are there with multiple virtual
screens.

In fact, a centralized task manager will eliminate the need of (1) and (2)
in some sense.

Advice/suggestion welcome. Thanks!

Eugene

Solaris CDE: FrontPanel config questions

Post by Bryan O'Sulliva » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

e> (1) I would like the mailer button beep, in addition to the change
e> of icon, when mail comes in. I know that if I have a version of
e> dtmail running I can get this done easily. But then what's the
e> point of having the front palen? :-)

e> (2) Similarly, I have to run a copy of dtcm to get the calendar
e> working, another redundancy. Could the date button run a copy of
e> dtcm in background?

Both of these issues are related.  The front panel provides a very
simple interface to mail and the calendar; that is, it only tells the
time, date and whether or not you have new mail.  If you need full
mailer or calendar functionality, the idea is that you run the
appropriate tool.

Note that you can save your session in such a way that the mailer and
calendar tool will automatically start when you log in, so this isn't
really a problem.

e> (3) Is there a way of turning off icons (as one can do with Fvwm)
e> and us a task manager?

Not right now.

        <b

--
Let us pray:
What a Great System.

1. CDE question: How to configure frontpanel?

O.k, the subject may be a bit misleading, because I already figured
out to change the front panel in a number of ways. But two questions
remain:
1) Is there an easy way to tell dtwm to use medium or small sized icons
   in the front panel instead of the large ones it seems to use?
2) Since I want my front panel to take away as less screen space as
   possible, I want to minimize it by reducing the size of the
   buttons (4 by default) which are used to switch to the
   different workspaces. How can I change the width of those
   buttons?

Thanks,

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)

3. CDE/1.2 (Solaris/2.6) vs CDE/1.0.2 (Solaris/2.5.1) -- Login-Screen Question

4. 10th grader com sci homework request

5. CDE getting rid of FRONTPANEL

6. Linux memory management .

7. delete in cde-frontpanel

8. modem config in control panel

9. Need A CDE Frontpanel like utility

10. CDE Frontpanel on second Monitor

11. CDE FrontPanel

12. CDE Frontpanel on second screen?

13. CDE frontpanel embeds sdtperfmeter - but how