Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

Post by Robert S. M » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

We just upgraded out 670MP to Solaris 2.5 and it takes up to 60 seconds
before the machine responds to telnet requests.  It is doing about next
to nothing else (OpenWindows is running and perfmeter is almost flatlining).

Anyone know what the problem could possibly be?

Cheers,
Rob

 Angel Networks, Inc.                          http://www.angel.net/

Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

Post by Robert S. M » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

" We just upgraded out 670MP to Solaris 2.5 and it takes up to 60 seconds
" before the machine responds to telnet requests.  It is doing about next
" to nothing else (OpenWindows is running and perfmeter is almost flatlining).
"
" Anyone know what the problem could possibly be?

Fixed it.  The problem had to do with not properly setting up my resolv.conf
file...I guess the machine was trying to do a reverse name lookup.

Cheers,
Rob

 Angel Networks, Inc.                          http://www.angel.net/

Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

Post by Jason Walter » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Make sure the machine has a way to resolve the IP address of the
machine that is connecting to it.

Jason Walters

Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

Post by David Ann » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>We just upgraded out 670MP to Solaris 2.5 and it takes up to 60 seconds
>before the machine responds to telnet requests.  It is doing about next
>to nothing else (OpenWindows is running and perfmeter is almost flatlining).

>Anyone know what the problem could possibly be?

Sounds similar to how our machines act when the DNS is not working
correctly.

Post by Jim McGra » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>We just upgraded out 670MP to Solaris 2.5 and it takes up to 60 seconds
>before the machine responds to telnet requests.  It is doing about next
>to nothing else (OpenWindows is running and perfmeter is almost flatlining).

We had a similar difficulty with Sol 2.5.  We run NIS and by default Solaris
runs lpserv with the -d switch. So even though our resolv.conf was set to
look in NIS, NIS then went to DNS; which doesnt hold all client addresses.

Once we took the -d switch away from ypserv, all was well.

Regards

Jim

1. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

Well, this is puzzling--

I've been scratching my head over this for months, reading docs, looking
for non-existent IRQ conflicts because I *thought* I had a problem with
my PCMCIA and/or PPP setup. Just realized that the problem is specific
to *one server*--which happens to be the one I access the most.

* the problem server is in my local domain. It's the one where I have a
shell account (which I often use--or try to use--to ftp stuff back and
forth between home & office), and it's also the primary DNS and the mail
server for the domain.

* the server is an AIX machine which seems up to its job (it's only gone
down once in my 2 years here). When I access it from my office via an
ethernet connection, everything works fine. I can download a multi-meg
file in seconds.

* when I access the net through my PPP connection from home (using a
28.8k PCMCIA modem, dynamic IP addressing), I get reasonable speeds for
http & ftp servers outside the local domain . . . well, slow, but
consistent with what I get in the office.

* when I access this one local server, FTP is mind-numbingly slow (<100
bytes/second!) and I often can't complete a large transfer. Similarly,
if I try to get my mail, it's very slow and tends to stall if there are
a lot of messages.

Any ideas what's causing this? Thanks for any info.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan

2. Killing processes left by loged out users

3. driver: DMA really really slow

4. Dynamic IP address with Apache Web server Help

5. wu-ftpd really slow to login.

6. SUN-DES-1 broken in Solaris 7/dtlogin ?

7. NFS really slow (too slow!)

8. Locking a file

9. Knoppix is *really* *really* cool!

10. Really slow news group access using solaris

11. OpenSSL on Solaris-Sparc really so slow?

12. Network really really DOWN !!!

13. Really, really newbie