Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by George Thiruvathuk » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 07:58:18

This might sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to set up DNS
under Solaris 2.x without setting up NIS or NIS+?

Here is what I am trying to do. I am working from home on a Sun running
Solaris 2.3 w/patches and connected to ISDN. I only want the capability
of resolving Internet style names and nothing else. Basically, I only plan
on using telnet, ftp, Mosaic, and that's it. The machine I am connecting
to is not a Sun, and I'm not sure what it is to be honest.

If I have to run NIS+, please send me some pointers on what I should do to
set up NIS+ to support fallback to NIS mode (which is what my nameserver is
running).

Thanks for any suggestions which, at the very least, give me an idea of
what other questions to ask.

--
George K. Thiruvathukal
R.R. Donnelley and Sons/Technical Center

Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by Robert Montj » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 08:47:21

Hi..

All you need to do is modify /etc/nsswitch.conf and reboot.
Change the hosts entry to

        hosts: file dns
        or
        hosts: dns files

which ever you think is most appropriate.

>This might sound like a stupid question, but is it possible to set up DNS
>under Solaris 2.x without setting up NIS or NIS+?

>Here is what I am trying to do. I am working from home on a Sun running
>Solaris 2.3 w/patches and connected to ISDN. I only want the capability
>of resolving Internet style names and nothing else. Basically, I only plan
>on using telnet, ftp, Mosaic, and that's it. The machine I am connecting
>to is not a Sun, and I'm not sure what it is to be honest.

>If I have to run NIS+, please send me some pointers on what I should do to
>set up NIS+ to support fallback to NIS mode (which is what my nameserver is
>running).

>Thanks for any suggestions which, at the very least, give me an idea of
>what other questions to ask.

>--
>George K. Thiruvathukal
>R.R. Donnelley and Sons/Technical Center
>IIT Department of Computer Science

--
Rob Montjoy                  - Computer Engineer/Systems Administrator
University of Cincinnati     - Electrical and Computer Engineering

--  To Save the Earth. The Humans must die.

Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by Colin Campbe » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 15:55:43

: Hi..

: All you need to do is modify /etc/nsswitch.conf and reboot.
: Change the hosts entry to

:       hosts: file dns
:       or
:       hosts: dns files

: which ever you think is most appropriate.

This question /answer gets repeated weekly. What I never see though is
updating /etc/netconfig to add libresolv.so. In `SunOS 5.x, Administering
NIS+ and DNS', there is a chapter that describes the EXTRA steps needed
to use DNS. The first involves adding libresolv.so to netconfig and the
second requires copying libsockdns.so into libsock.so to make the TCP/IP
commands use DNS instead of /etc/hosts.

How come no-one ever specifies these tasks? Are they obsolete (the book
I am reading is Solaris 5.1)? What is the story?

Colin

Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by Luca Po » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 16:57:00

Quote:

>This question /answer gets repeated weekly. What I never see though is
>updating /etc/netconfig to add libresolv.so. In `SunOS 5.x, Administering
>NIS+ and DNS', there is a chapter that describes the EXTRA steps needed
>to use DNS. The first involves adding libresolv.so to netconfig and the
>second requires copying libsockdns.so into libsock.so to make the TCP/IP
>commands use DNS instead of /etc/hosts.

>How come no-one ever specifies these tasks? Are they obsolete (the book
>I am reading is Solaris 5.1)? What is the story?

If I remember correctly, these steps were necessary only in 2.1 or 2.0: I never
had to edit /etc/netconfig with subsequent releases. Moreover, there's no
libsockdns.so in 2.2/2.3 systems: only libsocket.so.

Regards,
Luca polo.
--
+-----------------------------------------++---------------------------+

| address and phone numbers)              || Universita` di Padova.    |

Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by George Thiruvathuk » Wed, 13 Jul 1994 00:53:54

Thanks to everyone who responded regarding my question about DNS. To summarize,
it turns out that my question was a FAQ. The answer is to modify the entry
for hosts in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file to first search files and then use
DNS. This has convinced me that Sun has tried to do "good" with Solaris, by
cleaning up something that was sort of a kludge in SunOS 4.1.3.

Regards,
George Thiruvathukal
--
George K. Thiruvathukal
R.R. Donnelley and Sons/Technical Center
IIT Department of Computer Science

Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by Paul O'Farrel » Wed, 13 Jul 1994 19:28:03

Quote:

> : Hi..

> : All you need to do is modify /etc/nsswitch.conf and reboot.
> : Change the hosts entry to

> :  hosts: file dns
> :  or
> :  hosts: dns files

> : which ever you think is most appropriate.

> This question /answer gets repeated weekly. What I never see though is
> updating /etc/netconfig to add libresolv.so. In `SunOS 5.x, Administering
> NIS+ and DNS', there is a chapter that describes the EXTRA steps needed
> to use DNS. The first involves adding libresolv.so to netconfig and the
> second requires copying libsockdns.so into libsock.so to make the TCP/IP
> commands use DNS instead of /etc/hosts.

> How come no-one ever specifies these tasks? Are they obsolete (the book
> I am reading is Solaris 5.1)? What is the story?

> Colin

Yes - these steps are obsolete on Solaris.  They are quite common on other
SVR4 systems however.

Paul

Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by mike siedelbe » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 06:57:26

Quote:>Hi..
>All you need to do is modify /etc/nsswitch.conf and reboot.

You do not have to reboot......
Quote:>Change the hosts entry to

Post by Robert Montj » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 07:23:48

>>Hi..

>>All you need to do is modify /etc/nsswitch.conf and reboot.

>You do not have to reboot......

Of course all running processes will not pick up the change until you
reboot(or restart them) becuase /etc/nsswitch.conf is only read at
process startup.  So if you want all processes to know about the change
to /etc/nsswitch.conf you should reboot.

Quote:

Post by Antonio Vasconcel » Tue, 02 Aug 1994 03:12:43

: Of course all running processes will not pick up the change until you
: reboot(or restart them) becuase /etc/nsswitch.conf is only read at
: process startup.  So if you want all processes to know about the change
: to /etc/nsswitch.conf you should reboot.

I'm not sure about that, I think that nsswitch.conf is examined by the
lib routines gethostby_something_().
--
regards,

<<< I'd Say More But I've Run Out of Time & Space >>>

Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

Post by Robert Montj » Tue, 02 Aug 1994 10:13:28

>: Of course all running processes will not pick up the change until you
>: reboot(or restart them) becuase /etc/nsswitch.conf is only read at
>: process startup.  So if you want all processes to know about the change
>: to /etc/nsswitch.conf you should reboot.

>I'm not sure about that, I think that nsswitch.conf is examined by the
>lib routines gethostby_something_().

I reads it once at startup time and loads the necessary
shared libraries to the lookups..

I just run truss on executable that uses
get hostbyname several times and it only
opened once..

--
Rob Montjoy                  - Computer Engineer/Systems Administrator
University of Cincinnati     - Electrical and Computer Engineering

--  To Save the Earth. The Humans must die.

1. DNS w/ NIS (NIS getting in the way?)

We are running a 4.1.3_U1 Sun machine which is configured as a primary
NIS server for our.domain.com.  It is also the primary DNS for our.domain.com.
We have just recently made this machine a secondary DNS for three other
domains:
foo.our.domain.com, bar.our.domain.com, and fred.our.domain.com.  Now here's
the problem...  we can resolve names from our.domain.com using nslookup, or
from
various applications (ping, telnet).  We can also resolve names from the
other three domains using nslookup, but *not* from the applications.  (All the
zone transfers have happened, and all data is correct).  None of the names
we are trying to resolve overlap between NIS & DNS.  The odd thing is that
it seems that the DNS is not being consulted by the applications when they are
attempting to resolve name from the 3 other domains (ie, starting named in
debug mode produces no output from application resolutions).

  However, after changing the domainname of a system attempting the resolution
to anything but our.domain.com, DNS resolutions work!  It appears that NIS
is getting in the way, and not allowing DNS queries when the NIS domain name
is the same as the DNS domain name.

Is there any way to get this to work other than changing our NIS domain name?

Eg)
elvis%  nslookup hubert.foo.our.domain.com
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

elvis%  telnet hubert.foo.our.domain.com
        hubert.foo.our.domain.com: host unknown.

elvis%  ypmatch hubert.foo.our.domain.com  hosts
        Can't match key .....

but after
elvis%  domainname domain.com
elvis%  telnet hubert.foo.our.domain.com
        <works!>
elvis%  ypmatch hubert.foo.our.domain.com hosts
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        <blank line, so this came from DNS>

This is driving me crazy!?!  Is it just that it is impossible to run an
NIS primary, DNS primary with the same domain names and a DNS secondary?
Any help, comments, thoughts, and/or resolutions would be much
appreciated.

Shawn Robinson

(Please let me know if you have experienced similar problems, or it sounds like
a simple misconfiguration....anything would be useful)

--

Remember:  If it ain't broken,          "Youth culture killed my dog, and
they won't hire you to fix it. :)        I don't think it's fair." -TMBG

2. ACE-5000 sound card/modem: REALLY STRANGE

3. NIS or NIS+ or DNS

4. Nx586 motherboard

5. What was the problem of DNS without NIS/NIS+ ?

6. hardware recommendation needed

7. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

8. Port forwarding, dmz , 3 network cards and a quake3 server -=- Long -=-

9. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

10. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

11. Setting up Linux NIS+ client with Sun Solaris NIS+ server.

12. Setting up DNS or NIS

13. Setting Up a Sol 2.3 machine as secondary DNS server (with NIS+)