Problem with audioplay on Solaris 8

Post by spi.. » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:56:58

Hi folks

At about 1 1/2 hour ago I used audioplay to play an snd
(Sun/Next audio) music file I downloaded from the
internet. To be precise the file was an mp3 and I used
madplay to translate it to snd format. For the first half
hour things were going smoothly. Then I noticed that the
system was getting slow. I used top and saw that audioplay
was taking about 80% of processor time and it was increasing.
(By the way the computer is a Sunblade 1500) By the time
I thought I should do something about it it was too late;
the system was almost frozen. The mouse pointer still moves
in a somewhat jerky fashion but clicking on anything doesn't
have any effect. The system froze with a dtterm on the screen
but typing in it doesn't have any effect. The music is still
playing but also in a jerky fashion ie it plays for a fraction
of a second , then stops for a fraction then plays again and
so on. So these are the only 2 things that seem to be working,
the music and the mouse pointer.

The computer is part of a network so I thought I would remotely
login from another computer to the one with the problem and
kill audioplay. Fat chance ; neither ssh nor rlogin prompt me
for a password. Ping seems to be working though.

If I use the Stop+A combination on the frozen computer I do
enter the Forth interpreter but I don't know any useful way
to use it. It's interesting to mention though that sometimes
when I enter it the computer produces a continuous (and annoy-
ing) sound which remains until I exit the interpreter and then
the music starts again. On other occasions , when I enter the
interpreter the computer becomes quiet. I think it depends on
what part of the music was on at the moment I entered the
interpreter.

So this is the problem , do you have any ideas of how to handle
it without rebooting the computer ? I was typing something and
I will lose it if I reboot. I'm using CDE if that's important.

Cheers
Spiros Bousbouras

Post by from the » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:11:21

> So this is the problem , do you have any ideas of how to handle
> it without rebooting the computer ? I was typing something and
> I will lose it if I reboot. I'm using CDE if that's important.

> Cheers
> Spiros Bousbouras

Short of hoping it finishes, if you can't log in at all there is not
much chance of saving the edits.

You might find ssh or telnet will get there eventually.
--
Dave K     MCSE.

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

Post by spi.. » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 06:35:22

> > So this is the problem , do you have any ideas of how to handle
> > it without rebooting the computer ? I was typing something and
> > I will lose it if I reboot. I'm using CDE if that's important.

> > Cheers
> > Spiros Bousbouras

> Short of hoping it finishes, if you can't log in at all there is not
> much chance of saving the edits.

Thankfully it did finish and things returned back to normal.
I'm intrigued by the whole thing though. It suggests that Solaris
8 has a bug because it shouldn't have allowed a single process
to monopolize system resources like that. It's interesting also
that the system was slow at a time when , according to top , audioplay
was using about 80% of processor time when on other occasions
there are demanding calculations running taking 97% of processor
time , yet there is no tangible slowdown. So I'm wondering whether
the operating system had the wrong idea about how much of
processor time audioplay was actually taking.

Another strange thing is why did this particular file cause the
problem. On several occasions I have played long snd music
files with no problems whatsoever. In case anyone wants to
experiment , the file can be found at
http://www.audio.cyborgcow.net/cliffraves/DJ%20Cliffraves%20-%20Colis...
I used madplay on a Linux machine to convert it to snd using
amplification factor 2.

Spiros Bousbouras

1. audioplay hangs on Solaris 2.2

I'm having problems playing .au files on my LX running solaris 2.2. audioplay
either hangs without a sound or part of the .au file is played and then
audioplay hangs. I do have one or two .au files that doesn't hang audioplay
so I have no ideas as to what is going on. The only patch I could find was
101270-02 which didn't do anything. Any suggestions? Thanks

   George
--
George Lindholm                                  phone:    (604) 822-4375
University Computing Services, UBC               fax:      (604) 822-5116

V6T 1Z2

2. <Writers Seeking Publication>

3. /dev/audio problems; audioplay

4. Looking for "UNIX programmer's Manual"

5. audioplay broken on sun4m (lx, classic)?

6. netscape, aol, microsoft

7. audioplay can't play files audiotool can

8. How do I update the lilo kernel image map on my boot floppy?

9. Audioplay

10. audioplay and UltraSparcs

11. quota problems between solaris and solaris machines, and solaris and sunos4.1.3 machines.

12. Solaris 8 x86 install problems / was: Re: Solaris as Guest OS possible?

13. Font problems mixing Solaris 1 and Solaris 2