HELP: 10 GB Disks, Solaris 2.x, SunOS 4.1.3

HELP: 10 GB Disks, Solaris 2.x, SunOS 4.1.3

Post by Dan Wilso » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 02:11:10

I am considering replacing a large MO jukebox with 35 10GB drives.
I'm looking for various pieces of information:
        1) People with good or bad experience with either the Micropolis
           or Seagate drives of the 9GB+ variety (especially differential
           SCSI).
        2) Any reviews of these drives that are published
        3) Problems to be anticipated with attaching these drives to
           Solaris 2.x machines.
        4) Problems to be anticipated with attaching them to a SunOS 4.1.3
           machine (this is the prefered version of Solaris)
        5) Using Disk Suite:Online with them on a SunOS 4.1.3 machine.

Curiously, real-time read performance is not an issue, since the device
being replaced has slow (< 500 KB/sec) transfer rate, slower seek time,
and oh yes, robotics to mount the disks.  Backup is not a big issue
since once the drives are filled they will be read protected for some
time.  I'd use a RAID to ease admin and improve reliability, but finding
10GB based RAIDs isn't easy, and the economics goes out the the window
(remember I don't need speed).

Any help would be appreciated.  If there is interest, I will summarize
and post results.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are not those of my employer.  Wait a
            minute, I am my employer...

Post by Michael E Wille » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 07:55:59

>I am considering replacing a large MO jukebox with 35 10GB drives.
>I'm looking for various pieces of information.
>        1) People with good or bad experience with either the Micropolis
>           or Seagates of the 9GB+ variety...

>...I'd use a RAID to ease admin and improve reliability, but finding
>10 GB based RAIDs isn't easy, and the economics goes out the window
>(remember I don't need speed)

There was a recent study for the U.S. Coast Guard which indicates that
optical jukeboxes no longer make sense in view of the rapidly dropping
prices of magnetic storage. The prices are now fairly comparable
between optical jukeboxes and even the older 80s type RAIDs like 3 and 5.
Even the older and slower RAIDs can be orders of magnitude faster than
optical jukeboxes, not to mention the really fast, I/O-accelerated RAID
architectures like 7.

The new Seagate 9GB Barracudas work very well with the new RAID
architectures, our users report.  They do require very good cooling, which
we have provided.  Any user of a Barracuda should ensure it is properly
cooled, with an adequate cooling safety margin.

We do have many Sun users who are using I/O-accelerated, very high speed
RAID 7 to significantly speed up their application performance. We have
numerous installations with all other UNIX-flavor file servers that I am
aware of.  Installations can run from 20 GB or so up to a terabyte.

Mike Willett
Storage Computer Corp.
11 Riverside Street
Nashua, NH 03062
Tel. 603-880-3005
Fax  603-889-7232

Post by Thomas V. Mye » Sun, 18 Dec 1994 11:03:41

>>I am considering replacing a large MO jukebox with 35 10GB drives.
>>I'm looking for various pieces of information.
>>        1) People with good or bad experience with either the Micropolis
>>           or Seagates of the 9GB+ variety...

>>...I'd use a RAID to ease admin and improve reliability, but finding
>>10 GB based RAIDs isn't easy, and the economics goes out the window
>>(remember I don't need speed)
> There was a recent study for the U.S. Coast Guard which indicates that
> optical jukeboxes no longer make sense in view of the rapidly dropping
> prices of magnetic storage. The prices are now fairly comparable
> between optical jukeboxes and even the older 80s type RAIDs like 3 and 5.
> Even the older and slower RAIDs can be orders of magnitude faster than
> optical jukeboxes, not to mention the really fast, I/O-accelerated RAID
> architectures like 7.
> The new Seagate 9GB Barracudas work very well with the new RAID
> architectures, our users report.  They do require very good cooling, which
> we have provided.  Any user of a Barracuda should ensure it is properly
> cooled, with an adequate cooling safety margin.
> We do have many Sun users who are using I/O-accelerated, very high speed
> RAID 7 to significantly speed up their application performance. We have
> numerous installations with all other UNIX-flavor file servers that I am
> aware of.  Installations can run from 20 GB or so up to a terabyte.
> Mike Willett
> Storage Computer Corp.
> 11 Riverside Street
> Nashua, NH 03062
> Tel. 603-880-3005
> Fax  603-889-7232

I have tried for many months to give 'Storage Computer Corp.' the benefit of
the doubt on their postings, but this one exceeds my tolerance level.

1) The original poster stated that they were already planning to replace
their optical jukebox so yet another reference to the unsubstantiated Coast
Guard study is entirely irrelevant.  The rest of that paragraph extols the
speed advantages of RAID even though the original poster explicitly stated,
more than once, that speed was not an issue.

2) The Seagate 9GB drives (ST410800) are NOT 'Barracudas'.  They are in the
'Elite' family.  If the poster does not know the difference, they should not
be making statements regarding cooling requirements, etc.

3) The third paragraph has almost nothing to do with the original article.
Only the last sentence which vaguely covers capacity is relevant.  My English
teacher would also growl at sentences ending with the word 'of'.

                        Do it right, if at all,  Tom
--

1. linux > 8.4 gb's of 10 gb disk?

is this possible?

on a 486, partition it with FAT16 in lower 8.4 gb's,
with 2.1 gb partitions, 4 partitions, using
win95a (before OSR2).  already have MSDOS 6.22, Win 3.1,
MSDOS 7.00 and Win95a running in primary partition on old drive
although rarely use MSDOS 6.22, let alone Win 3.1.
will format new 10 gb drive with format from MSDOS 6.22
to avoid any problems, so there is backwards compatibility
to all known operating systems.  (believe it or not, one
stat test from SPSS [exact test] will only run properly in Win 3.1
so need to have flexibility for these strange anomalies)

then add linux after the 8.4 gb boundary?
will linux be able to read the win95 files in the previous
2.1 gb partitions of the 8.4 gb section?

don't see why not.
may need partition magic 3 which can handle 8.4 gb
but does not go beyond 8.4 gb so not sure if can
make a linux partition in the 8.4 to 10 gb range.

ibm tech said no problem with their deskstar 10 gb drive.

but thought i would ask here.

thanks,
adam

--

2. Driver for Nvidia accelerator

3. Solaris 10 SVM fails to boot from mirrored disk on 2 disk system; need help!

4. Start administration

5. Solaris 10, built new disk, now cannot boot off solaris 8 disk???

6. How much security risk do I have from wordpress (Ubuntu)

7. $299.95 /mo Max/Max 10 GB $119 /GB Charged

8. ISAPNP tools config for Ensoniq SoundScape soundcard

9. 10 Gb disk, Win98, and Linux

10. 10 GB fixed disk: not all accessible?

11. UDMA66 Large Disk (27.3 Gb) == 8 Gb industrial standard disk???

12. Lilo on 10 Gb disk

13. how to reserve 10-19 GB of disk space for a single user???