I am considering replacing a large MO jukebox with 35 10GB drives.
I'm looking for various pieces of information:
1) People with good or bad experience with either the Micropolis
or Seagate drives of the 9GB+ variety (especially differential
2) Any reviews of these drives that are published
3) Problems to be anticipated with attaching these drives to
Solaris 2.x machines.
4) Problems to be anticipated with attaching them to a SunOS 4.1.3
machine (this is the prefered version of Solaris)
5) Using Disk Suite:Online with them on a SunOS 4.1.3 machine.
Curiously, real-time read performance is not an issue, since the device
being replaced has slow (< 500 KB/sec) transfer rate, slower seek time,
and oh yes, robotics to mount the disks. Backup is not a big issue
since once the drives are filled they will be read protected for some
time. I'd use a RAID to ease admin and improve reliability, but finding
10GB based RAIDs isn't easy, and the economics goes out the the window
(remember I don't need speed).
Any help would be appreciated. If there is interest, I will summarize
and post results.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are not those of my employer. Wait a
minute, I am my employer...