Need docs about SMF

Post by Bruno Bonfil » Tue, 10 May 2005 21:30:11

Hello,

I wonder if there are some others documentation about SMF rather than
[1]. Since I begin to migrate few (non-critical) services to Solaris
10, I want to try the new init system instead use the old /etc/init.d
way. That's why I'm looking for doc about how to write my own SMF
manifest file. At this time, I used the existings file to create my
one, and take a look into the DTD which contains some comments, but
since I'm far to be a DTD expert, I don't understand all.

Though, I still have questions like :

- what happens if a service fail ? SMF recall the start method ?

I saw some "restart_on" attributes in the DTD, but their only refers
to depend

- it is possible to add some "variables" which can be modified easily
  via svccfg ? For example a configuration file to use when the
  daemon start (with a default value which can be override)

Anyway, at this time, SMF seem really interesting to me, though I
need more documentation to written good SMF manifest.

[1] http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1985/6mhm8o5n0?a=view

--
\_o<

Need docs about SMF

Post by Pliny the Welde » Tue, 10 May 2005 22:17:01

These might help..
http://blogs.sun.com/lianep
http://mediacast.sun.com/share/lianep/t-smf-general-march-2005.pdf

Quote:

> Hello,

> I wonder if there are some others documentation about SMF rather than
> [1]. Since I begin to migrate few (non-critical) services to Solaris
> 10, I want to try the new init system instead use the old /etc/init.d
> way. That's why I'm looking for doc about how to write my own SMF
> manifest file. At this time, I used the existings file to create my
> one, and take a look into the DTD which contains some comments, but
> since I'm far to be a DTD expert, I don't understand all.

> Though, I still have questions like :

> - what happens if a service fail ? SMF recall the start method ?

> I saw some "restart_on" attributes in the DTD, but their only refers
> to depend

> - it is possible to add some "variables" which can be modified easily
>  via svccfg ? For example a configuration file to use when the
>  daemon start (with a default value which can be override)

> Anyway, at this time, SMF seem really interesting to me, though I
> need more documentation to written good SMF manifest.

> [1] http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1985/6mhm8o5n0?a=view

> --
> \_o<

Need docs about SMF

Post by Bruno Bonfil » Tue, 10 May 2005 23:22:39

Quote:> These might help..
> http://blogs.sun.com/lianep
> http://mediacast.sun.com/share/lianep/t-smf-general-march-2005.pdf

Ok, very thanks. Your blog seem contains very interesting stuff. I'm
very suprise that webmin is ever SMF compliant.. Anyway I'll read
these docs carefully.

Btw, are there some requirements to have a blogs.sun.com ? or I need
to work for Sun ? :P (well if yes, I hope i'll work for them in a
short while)

Thanks you

--
\_o<

Need docs about SMF

Post by Pliny the Welde » Wed, 11 May 2005 00:15:07

S'not my blog!  And I don't work for Sun, so I have no idea what their blog
requirements are, sorry.

:-)

>> These might help..
>> http://blogs.sun.com/lianep
>> http://mediacast.sun.com/share/lianep/t-smf-general-march-2005.pdf

> Ok, very thanks. Your blog seem contains very interesting stuff. I'm
> very suprise that webmin is ever SMF compliant.. Anyway I'll read
> these docs carefully.

> Btw, are there some requirements to have a blogs.sun.com ? or I need
> to work for Sun ? :P (well if yes, I hope i'll work for them in a
> short while)

> Thanks you

> --
> \_o<

Need docs about SMF

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 11 May 2005 01:06:35

> Btw, are there some requirements to have a blogs.sun.com ? or I need
> to work for Sun ? :P (well if yes, I hope i'll work for them in a
> short while)

Yes, you need to be a Sun employee to get on blogs.sun.com.  But
there's nothing preventing you from having your own blog and then
having it aggregated under planetsolaris.org.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Need docs about SMF

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Wed, 11 May 2005 22:18:48

Quote:>S'not my blog!  And I don't work for Sun, so I have no idea what their blog
>requirements are, sorry.

You have to work for Sun.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Need docs about SMF

Post by Pliny the Welde » Wed, 11 May 2005 23:31:10

>>S'not my blog!  And I don't work for Sun, so I have no idea what their
>>blog
>>requirements are, sorry.

> You have to work for Sun.

If you could pull some strings for me....

;-)

1. translate from MS Word doc (.doc) to Portable doc (.pdf) with Solaris 5.6

I would like to translate a Microsoft Word document (.doc)
into a Portable description file (.pdf) with my SUN station
running with OS SOLARIS 5.6.
How can i do ?
Any information may be helpful.

2. Help!!! I can't compile anything

3. Converting linked HTML docs to one doc - how?

4. compilation error: cannot execute "as"

5. Where to get security doc & crack doc ?

6. Inter-Process-Communication/Data-Echange/X-Ole

7. Apache server download msword doc scrambles doc

8. xWindows Question

9. TCP/IP Docs and Utils, ELM Docs, WERER ???

10. NCSA Access control docs needed

11. .XML docs, need to print them.

12. need docs on hardware

13. setting duplex: need sun doc confirming /etc/system better than ndd