ftp on solaris

Post by rick grinnel » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I cannot ftp as root on a Sparc Solaris 2.5 system.
I believe aset level III may have been applied.
I'd like to be able to ftp as root on occation -
what must I modify to allow it?  Something simliar
to /etc/default/login I presume?

thanx,
/rick
--
The ideas/opinions expressed herein are strictly my
own and are not those of my company.  Author will

ftp on solaris

Post by Thomas Buehlma » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I cannot ftp as root on a Sparc Solaris 2.5 system.
>I believe aset level III may have been applied.
>I'd like to be able to ftp as root on occation -
>what must I modify to allow it?  Something simliar
>to /etc/default/login I presume?

Read the manual page on ftpd (man ftpd) and pay specific attention to the file
/etc/ftpusers

Thomas

ftp on solaris

Post by Steve Col » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I cannot ftp as root on a Sparc Solaris 2.5 system.

Create a file called /etc/shells with mode 644.  In it, list all the
shells that can access your machine via FTP.  Like this:

/bin/sh
/usr/lib/rsh
/bin/csh
/bin/jsh

Whatever shells you want.  Careful... this may also lock ftp users out of
the box if their shell is not listed.

Cheers,
Steve      |President & Systems Administrator,  Kingston Online Services

           |(e pluribus unix)   3xT-1!   URL: http://www.kosone.com/kos/
           |Business and Education partners in SouthEastern Ontario 1993->

           |"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
           | backbone, bounced from satellite, it's nothing but net."

1. Solaris ftp v Pro-ftp v WU-ftp

One-year newbie Solaris admin here. (And four yrs Linux experience extra,
does
that count extra credit?)

Management thinks they want an internet ftp server for the company.
Whatever,
they're mgt, and 'I serve at their pleasure'.. and paycheck. My questions:

1). why use a package like ProFTP or WU-ftp, instead of Solaris 2.6 ftp,
which
seems to me easy enough to use and cfg? (I'd ask them why, but that'd be
interpreted
as 'a bad thing'.)
2). which FTP is 'better'? I've heard of WU-ftp security holes, but am not
familiar
with Pro-FTP problems.
3). is there a better way to go?

I'm guessing this is for external customer browser convenience, which will
make me
RTFMs soon enough, yet any other comments, suggestions, or insights would be
appreciated. Thank you.

-fgz
(name alias and bogus email adrs to protect the guilty.)

2. Apache: handling non-http requests on alternative port

3. Web browser as FTP client: errors on my (solaris 2.4) FTP site

4. anjuta

5. Solaris to Solaris ftp through Checkpoint

6. dial on demand

7. (Help) FTP fails in Solaris 9 but not in Solaris 2.6

8. M_SETOPTS

9. FTP: New Linux FTP site: ftp.kernel.org

10. Secure ftp, ftp over stunnel og ftp-ssl.

11. ftp problems in Solaris 8/intel. Solaris core dumps during ftp.

12. Problems connecting from Windows 2000 to Solaris (IMAP, FTP)

13. How secure is Solaris 7's FTP server?