Help FSCK problems every time I boot Solaris 2.5.1

Help FSCK problems every time I boot Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Tony and Rachelle Rodrigue » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

My name is Tony and any help as to how I can fix this problem would be
greatly appreciated.   I have a 1 Gig SCSI-2 Hard Drive, an IBM PS/2, and
built in IBM SCSI Hard Drive Controller on the motherboard.

Everything is fine when I intially install Solaris. It is when I
run shutdown and reboot that I keep getting messages like
checking / (root) filesystem and a bad inode/block being salavaged
or repaired.  I also have tried senting partity and non-parity
for the SCSI Hard Drive to see if the problem would go away, but it
didn't.  I am very familar with SCSI, SCSI ID's, SCSI Terminators, so
this isn't a newbie I configured my SCSI's wrong problem.  I have
another machine with a 2.7 Gig SCSI Hard Drive that I didn't
have this problem on.

I have low leveled formatted as well as attempted to mark bad sectors
out of service.  The Hard Drive is new right out of the box.  The drive
does not have any bad blocks so no bad blocks were remapped.   I had the
partitions defined as:

/       900 Meg (root)
/ swap  100 Meg (swap space)
overlap is set to the standard defaults all the blocks/clusters
        of the Hard Drive.

I remember someone else had a simular problem, but I didn't know
learn how they fixed it.

Please email me with the solution. Thanks

Help FSCK problems every time I boot Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>My name is Tony and any help as to how I can fix this problem would be
>greatly appreciated.   I have a 1 Gig SCSI-2 Hard Drive, an IBM PS/2, and
>built in IBM SCSI Hard Drive Controller on the motherboard.

>Everything is fine when I intially install Solaris. It is when I
>run shutdown and reboot that I keep getting messages like
>checking / (root) filesystem and a bad inode/block being salavaged
>or repaired.

Is this controller the one which uses the Solaris mcis driver? If
so try adding the following line to /etc/system:

set mcis:gsc_options=1

BA

1. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

With the file system check during boot, get a report:
   *** An error occurred during the file system check
   ***   (blah, blah...)

From the shell, ran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions.
The root partition had a couple of problems which fsck
supposedly fixed. (No critical files were affected, it
seems.  Interestingly, the affected files were ones I
had copied over from a DOS partition using automatic
CRLF-LF conversion.)  Rebooted, but got the same error
as before.  Reran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions
again, all were reported as OK.  I only checked the
ext2 partitions, although there are a few non-Linux
partitions (FAT, HPFS, etc.); I assume fsck ignores
those, so even if they had a problem (I don't think
they do) that wouldn't seem to be an issue.

What is going on here?  I assume it is e2fsck that is
detecting the problem and returning an error code during
boot, so why doesn't it identify a problem when I run it
from the shell?  More urgently, how can I repair the
problem so I can boot Linux again?

(Yes, in case anyone is wondering, I ALWAYS do a normal
shutdown.  I am well aware how disastrous it can be to
power off the machine without shutting down first.)

Any help on this will be GREATLY appreciated, since a
reformat/reinstall does not especially appeal to me...

Regards,
Marty

2. What advantage is 100MHz?

3. 55 File Manager windows are starting every time I boot Solaris!!!!

4. Printer Not Detected... Please help :)

5. fsck -y / every time logon: is it a hardware pb?

6. Networking with a PC

7. fsck runs on every boot

8. Toshiba Libretto and FreeBSD

9. Linux 0.99.14 fsck's on EVERY boot

10. Possible to Force FSCK -y on 4.3BSD on every boot

11. "FSCK: check forced" on every boot

12. Have to remount 'fd0, dcrom's every time I boot, Why?

13. RH9: sndconfig: every time I boot.