Remote Console Logging on Solaris 8?

Post by John Dav » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:01:52

I heard that you can monitor messages that can only be seen on a
Console/Terminal Server in 2.8 and redirect them to a file. Is this
done thru /etc/syslog.conf?

Thanks!

Post by Raf LaPiet » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:38:45

>I heard that you can monitor messages that can only be seen on a
>Console/Terminal Server in 2.8 and redirect them to a file. Is this
>done thru /etc/syslog.conf?

Nope. man consadm

-Raf

Remote Console Logging on Solaris 8?

Post by John Dav » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 00:00:28

Thanks for the command. I looked at the man page, but I guess I was
looking for something different. According the man pages, it specifies
a secondary device (ie: a serial port) which gives you an alternate
console for administration tasks (which is great actually). I'm
looking more into logging those annoying messages (to an ascii file)
that appear on the console that I wouldn't normally see unless I
telnetted to the terminal server. Would you recommend redirecting
/dev/console to an ascii file for this?

> >I heard that you can monitor messages that can only be seen on a
> >Console/Terminal Server in 2.8 and redirect them to a file. Is this
> >done thru /etc/syslog.conf?

> Nope. man consadm

> -Raf

1. remote Solaris console control?

I'm interested in trying to set up the consoles on the machines at work
so that I can connect to/control them from home.  I know that this is usually
possible with some sort of manual switchbox.

The thing is that most all of our machines have graphical consoles (i.e. they
aren't dumb terminals and don't use /dev/term/a).  I suspect that this
means that the "connect a switchbox to /dev/term/a and switch between
serial lines" method is out of the question.  Is there any way to do what
I'm looking for by say, mixing the two console types?

Thanks

-mark frost
 horizon systems inc

2. SEcure ftp server

3. Solaris console log

4. Ultimate newbie question

5. Solaris remote console server available for FTP

6. xterm: echo "This in blue: " $THIS-IN-RED ?

7. Solaris 8 syslogd - remote logging

8. Linux soon = Windows (Long)

9. remote logging as root (Solaris 2.5)

10. System logging going to console not log file

11. netfilter LOG target logging to the console

12. Option for logging pf log to a remote host?

13. Solaris 2.6: access to remote printers, change of the remote host