How assign MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

How assign MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

Post by Alberto da Silv » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 17:11:46

Is it possible to assign a MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

Tried ifconfig ifconfig hme0:1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:5, but that failed.

Help

Thanks,

Post by Alberto da Silv » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:50:48

> #   Is it possible to assign a MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?
> #
> #   Tried ifconfig ifconfig hme0:1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:5, but that failed.

> Drop one of the 'ifconfig's, plumb hme0:1 it first.

> Show us the command line and error msg.

> Don't retype them, scoop them.

Sorry about the typo:

cotton:/ # ifconfig hme0:1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:5
ifconfig: could not open device for hme0:1
ifconfig: failed setting mac address on hme0:1

Alberto

How assign MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

Post by Joe Blogg » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 06:32:08

Don't think it's possible.

A single NIC can only have a single MAC addr, but lots of IP addrs.

Why do you want multiple MAC addrs on a single NIC?

> Is it possible to assign a MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

> Tried ifconfig ifconfig hme0:1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:5, but that failed.

> Help

> Thanks,

How assign MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:01:46

Quote:> A single NIC can only have a single MAC addr, but lots of IP addrs.

That's not true, but I don't know of any interface to control such
functionality within Solaris.

Most modern ethernet cards can handle multiple simultaneous MAC
addresses (in fact it's required for ethernet multicast functionality).
I don't know how the host processes incoming packets sent to the
different addresses.

Quote:> Why do you want multiple MAC addrs on a single NIC?

One reason would be to have MAC transparent failover of machines.  That
way you don't have to notify local switches of the change in the ARP
mapping and hope that they pick it up properly.

The interface could have the "real" mac responsible for a "local" IP and
a "shared" mac responsible for a shared IP.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Post by Alberto da Silv » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:15:51

> Don't think it's possible.

> A single NIC can only have a single MAC addr, but lots of IP addrs.

> Why do you want multiple MAC addrs on a single NIC?

> > Is it possible to assign a MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

> > Tried ifconfig ifconfig hme0:1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:5, but that failed.

> > Help

> > Thanks,

We are using 2 logical interfaces for a web server.
Our firewall (PIX) thinks that we are trying to spoof the ip address
and blocks outging traffic.

Changed the PIX and all OK.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Alberto

1. Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Hello,

iceman a crit :

man ifconfig
man 8 ip

Please can you elaborate ? How do you see it does not work ?

Yes, it works for me. You can also assign an IPv6 address with the 'ip'
command from the iproute/iproute2 package :

ip -6 address add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64 dev eth0

Note that the 2001:0db8::/32 range is to be used for documentation
purpose only. If you do not have a global prefix you can create and use
a prefix in the unique local address range (ULA, cf. RFC 4193). A
generator is available at <http://www.kame.net/~suz/gen-ula.html>.

2. redhat on hp ze4101 laptop

3. Is it possible to have a logical interface(hme0:1) on a different network

4. KDE default desktop regenerated: Why?

5. how to report only hme0 IP addy instead of logical interfaces?

6. Unix programming puzzle

7. dhcp-server: assign fixed address to clients within MAC address range

8. Newbie asks stupid questions...

9. assign fixed address to clients with MAC address range

10. Determine IP address assigned to MAC

11. Assigning IP Range via First Half of MAC ( hardware ) Address

12. dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

13. How to assign a IP address range to an interface ?