SSA Questions

Post by tucan.. » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:19:13

Hi folks.

I just took delivery of a new ( for me ) SSA, model 1010.  As yet, I am
still not 100% clear on "A" models vs "D" models etc., but its the old
white fibre channel ( 25mb/s ) 30-drive job.  I've fired it up after a
good cleaning and it powers up fine.  I'm still tinkering with it, but so
far, I have a few questions I was wondering if some experienced folks
might know:

- I've been told ( and this looks to be true ) that this is basically an
SS5 with 6 SCSI channels.  Do I ever need to worry about the old SPARC
dead NVRAM syndrome?

- When the array powers up, a variety of things happen.  The LEDs on the
read of the CPU board blink, and the LCD at the front displays
alpha-numeric strings.  I've searched docs.sun.com and come up empty --
Does anyone have a manual ( pdf, etc ) or run-down on the LED indicators,
system codes, etc?

- The "Battery Low" and "Maintenence Needed" icons appear on the LCD
display.  Should I be worried about either?

I'm going to try to attach it to an Ultra2 tonight to see what more I can
play with.  Hoping to get some additional info first before I really dive
in.

Thanks!

--

SSA Questions

Post by Dr. Midnigh » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:02:40

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Array_Options/ARRAY_OPT_...

SSA Questions

Post by sc.. » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:55:01

> I just took delivery of a new ( for me ) SSA, model 1010.  As yet, I am
> still not 100% clear on "A" models vs "D" models etc., but its the old

This is nothing to do with the "A" or "D" models (ie, A1000/D1000). This
array pre-dates them by about 5 years or more.

Quote:> - I've been told ( and this looks to be true ) that this is basically an
> SS5 with 6 SCSI channels.  Do I ever need to worry about the old SPARC
> dead NVRAM syndrome?

It's not an SS5, it just happens to use the same chip as they do.

Quote:> - When the array powers up, a variety of things happen.  The LEDs on the
> read of the CPU board blink, and the LCD at the front displays
> alpha-numeric strings.  I've searched docs.sun.com and come up empty --
> Does anyone have a manual ( pdf, etc ) or run-down on the LED indicators,
> system codes, etc?

These are diagnostic codes. As long as they pass then you can basically
ignore them. The hex number it comes up with is the last 4 digits of the
world-world-number (not to be confused with FC-AL WWN's) of the array.

Quote:> - The "Battery Low" and "Maintenence Needed" icons appear on the LCD
> display.  Should I be worried about either?

The battery low light means that (supprise) the battery is low/dead! This
won't cause you any problems as long as you don't enable fast writes on the
array (fast writes menas that the array with cache all writes and then
write them back to disk. With a dead battery, you risk losing those write
if the array looses power).
No idea about the maintenance needed light.

  Scott.

1. SSA Questions

Well, I've inherited a system that needs some work.  Got some questions...

Current configuration:  3 F50's running 4.3.3, each with an SSA RAID card
with the SSA drives configured in three separate loops.  2 SSA drawers with
14 drives (4 for two servers, 6 for the last server).  Everything is working
fine.  RAID is not setup, the drives are mirrored only.

Needs:  I need more space on one of the servers.  I've already ordered a
pair of drives to add to one of the servers loop of SSA drives (for quick
fix).

Questions:
1.  When adding the new drives, I know where to put them in the drawer, and
assuming that AIX recognizes the new drives, will there be anything else I
need to do other than mirror the two drives after adding them to the full
filesystem?

2.  What are the differences between running mirrored drives or going
RAID-5?  Specifically, performance and long-term maintenance?

3.  If RAID-5 is better than mirrored drives, does someone have some
documentation on the performance differences, or some conversion notes to go
to RAID-5 from mirrored?

4.  Is there a way to share all the drives in the two drawers amongst all
three servers?  Would that require RAID-5?

5.  In smit, under devices, I have SSA Adapters listed twice (and the
selections under those options are duplicated i.e. List all SSA Adapters is
listed twice).  Any good way to clean that out?

--
Mark Pemberton
Sr. Programmer/Analyst

2. bash upgrade

3. SSA Question

4. Equivalent to dir/p?

5. Veritas Volume Manager subdisk allocation + SSA question

6. mkisofs and stdin

7. SSA Question

8. Slackware 3.1 Floppy Tape installation

9. SSA question

10. Re-using SSA disks previously members of a SSA RAID array

11. Trade: 8218 18GB SSA drives for 8209 9GB SSA drives

12. Useful SSA script (was: Mirrors Screwed up in SSA)

13. maymap for SSA 160 and SSA D40?