Need help on format command

Post by Sudi » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00

can some one send me an example on how i can repartition my slice(swap
slice) and create a new raw slice using format.
thx.

Need help on format command

Post by Bill Voigh » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Sudip,

First thing, read the man page.  It's pretty clear.

A slice is a partition, so your email's not clear to me.  Perhaps you
could post the output from format->partition->print and state what you'd
like to do.  That way we could help you in a more specific manner.

BV

--
egrep -v '(celery|broccoli|spinach)' /dev/plate|\
cat - /dev/beer_can|chew|swallow 2>/dev/burp|\

1. need to pipe a find or locate command into the rm command....PLEASE help!

QUESTION:

i have a disk that is full and i need to delete thousands
of little files. they all reside in thousands of folders
too. the only way i can locate them is all of them have the
directory "trash" in their full paths. so when i do a:

locate /trash/ | more

it gives me all the files i want to delete...the only
problem is i do not know how to pipe this output to the rm
command. the closest thing i can find in my manual is
something like:

locate /trash/ -exec rm "{}" \;

but this isn't working. i know there is a guru out there
that can help me..please post back! ;-)

ANSWER:

locate /trash/ | while read file ; do ; rm $file ; done

will read the output from locate line by line, removing the
corresponding file.

Of course, this technique is applicable to other similar commands as
well.

NOTE:
I thought this could be useful to comp.unix.shell too...  :-)

2. WinLinux and @home works for 2 min then stops????

3. kwrite (advanced editor): no font sizing??

4. Need an alternative to format command.

5. Mounting Xenix FS!

6. Help!...new BSD Admin...need help w/ command

7. Qmail POP3 message handeling.

8. need help with /etc/gettydefs format

9. Need help with lpd format for plotter

10. Help Needed: formatting floppy diskettes

11. Helps needed for personnal data recovery after unwanted format

12. *****HELP***** Need formatting info on HP, Seagate Disks