Network setting for Solaris 2.5.1 for x86

Network setting for Solaris 2.5.1 for x86

Post by Zhenfeng Zha » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I installed Soalris 2.5.1 for x86 with "Standalone" configuration. During
the installation, it doesn't prompt me to give its network address. Now I
have a 3C503 NIC and the boot procesure can find it.

Does anyone give me any suggestions?

Zhao Zhenfeng
June 10, 1998

Post by Chris Kohari » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I installed Soalris 2.5.1 for x86 with "Standalone" configuration. During
> the installation, it doesn't prompt me to give its network address. Now I
> have a 3C503 NIC and the boot procesure can find it.

> Does anyone give me any suggestions?

> Zhao Zhenfeng
> June 10, 1998

If the NIC card is now visible you should be able to create/edit the
hostname.??? file (where ??? represents the device associated with the NIC) and
enter the name you wish to use.  Then, make an entry in the /etc/hosts file with
the IP address and hostname combination.  You could then reboot for the changes
to take effect.  Or, you could type:

  ifconfig <device> inet <IP address> netmask <netmask address> broadcast
<broadcast address>

Other files you might want to look at are /etc/defaultrouter, /etc/netmasks,
/etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/nsswitch.conf.  Man pages should be available on all
of these.  Hope I haven't missed anything and I'm sure everyone out there will
correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Chris

1. Two network cardson Solaris x86: how to set different speeds?

Hi,

I have Solaris x86 5.5.1 with two SMC EtherPower 10/100 network cards. Man page
for "dnet" driver says to use "mode=10" or "mode=100" to configure the driver
for either 10 or 100 Mb speed. It works fine either way. But I need to
configure one card for 10 and the other card for 100 speed. How I can do that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Konstantin Martynenko
Seanet Corporation

2. MS Windows(tm) is prerequisite for Linux on-line seminar

3. Non-networked & networked Solaris x86 setup?

4. 2.4.18 broke my home network

5. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

6. Slackware 2.1 - driver for ACER CDROM on EIDE card

7. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

8. Looking for RedHat/Slackware CDs

9. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

10. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

11. How can I view eastern character set under Sun Solaris 2.6 x86

12. Solaris 10 x86: Constructing a shared disk set between two hosts

13. Solaris 8 x86: how to set up a user account