adding packages from CD

Post by Paul Phillip » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

Setup - Sparcbook 3GX with Solariw 2.5.1 installed.  I'm new to Solaris,
but trying to learn fast.

After installing gcc, I tried to compile perl.  Didn't work.  After I
consulted the Solaris FAQ I see that several packages (necessary for
compiling) are missing from my system.  I purchased the Solaris 2.5.1 CD
set.  I do not have a CDROM drive that I can attach to my Sparcbook, so
I thought I would just copy the files in question to my hard drive, then
use pkgadd.  Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, as that didn't
work.  The Solaris manual spends all its time talking about a full
install, not individual packages.

Example - I copied the SUNWbtool directory and its contents from CD
(attached to a Linux box) then ftp'd them to my Sparcbook hard drive.
Then I did:
pkgadd -d /export/home/SUNWbtool

It reported that SUNWbtool contained no packages.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?
Thanks!
Paul Phillips

adding packages from CD

Post by Alexander Rung » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

> Setup - Sparcbook 3GX with Solariw 2.5.1 installed.  I'm new to Solaris,
> but trying to learn fast.

> After installing gcc, I tried to compile perl.  Didn't work.  After I
> consulted the Solaris FAQ I see that several packages (necessary for
> compiling) are missing from my system.  I purchased the Solaris 2.5.1 CD
> set.  I do not have a CDROM drive that I can attach to my Sparcbook, so
> I thought I would just copy the files in question to my hard drive, then
> use pkgadd.  Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, as that didn't
> work.  The Solaris manual spends all its time talking about a full
> install, not individual packages.

> Example - I copied the SUNWbtool directory and its contents from CD
> (attached to a Linux box) then ftp'd them to my Sparcbook hard drive.
> Then I did:
> pkgadd -d /export/home/SUNWbtool

> It reported that SUNWbtool contained no packages.

> Can someone point me in the right direction here?
> Thanks!
> Paul Phillips

  Why don't you mount the Linux-CD-Rom via NFS
on your sparcbook and try again?

1. adding packages from cd-rom

I just installed 3.0 via the CD on my system and now I want to add some packages.

I was looking for pico and pine on the CD but can't find it. It is on the ftp site.  Is it on the CD and I am missing it, or are just some of the packages on the CD?

Here is a second question.  If I was to download the package before installing it where do most people save the file?

Thanks

Kent Kostuk

2. IPX-tutorial

3. 7.2 Error adding packages using CD drive

4. file transfer from Win95 to Sun Stn

5. boot CD - add additional packages in finish script

6. Driver developer wanted

7. Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

8. AIX 431: xdm session closed immediately

9. X-CD-Roast 0.95b - X-based CD-Writer package

10. RH 5.0 / added CD-RW, ordinary CD not recognized

11. How to add RPM packages to delfwalt set

12. adding package IBM named LUM on Solaris 8 with jumpstart procedure

13. Method to convert package-add to rpm