Quad Fast Ethernet

Post by Dennis Pich » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have been running some tests on a quad fast ethernet card.
I have an interesting situation where I have 2 lines going
into the machine configured as hme0 and hme1.  If hme0 goes
down while the system is up and running (I pulled the
ethernet cable), I would expect the machine to be able to send
outgoing packets through hme1 but it does not.  Even if I send
the packet to hme1's IP there is no response because hme0 is
down.  I am running 2.5.1 with all of the latest patches.
Any ideas.
--
Dennis Piche
Server and Network Services

Quad Fast Ethernet

Post by Michael Demk » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been running some tests on a quad fast ethernet card.
> I have an interesting situation where I have 2 lines going
> into the machine configured as hme0 and hme1.  If hme0 goes
> down while the system is up and running (I pulled the
> ethernet cable), I would expect the machine to be able to send
> outgoing packets through hme1 but it does not.  Even if I send
> the packet to hme1's IP there is no response because hme0 is
> down.  I am running 2.5.1 with all of the latest patches.
> Any ideas.

This is just a thought, but - What addresses are the interfaces running at?
It sounds like hme0 is acting as a router to hme1, so if hme0 is down, you
can't get to hme1.