Packages and Zones

Post by Thomas Muder » Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:21:47

Hello,

I have the following problem:
I have a selfmade package which also includes a preinstall and a
postinstall script. If there are zones set up on the machine (Sol 10 GA
x86) and I install the package, the scripts are executed in each zone;
that's how it should be (as for my understanding...).

But when I install a new zone after the installation of the package, the
scripts are NOT executed in the new zone before and after installation
of the package, which leads to the package being non-working and I have
to do those steps manually. But actually my point in creating a package
is that I DON'T have to do this manually.
Can someone confirm this, or maybe is it already a known bug?

best regards,
        Thomas

1. Configuring packages from zone to zone

How does one install software/packages in a zone? Particularly in
/usr/local when that filesystem is read-only?

I wanted my zone to have a samba instance, so I installed sun freeware
samba (and dependant packages) in the global zone, they were installed
to my non-global zone by default, but when I went to edit my smb.conf
in my non-global zone - it was a read-only filesystem!

Since a lot of software requires conf files, that will be different
from zone to zone, what is the best way to deal w/ this?

For non-global zones, is it best to compile source for software needing
separate configuration, installing it to a pseudo /usr/local - e.g. a
writable fs? Or is there some method to isolate packages (or just their
conf files) from one zone to the next?

Thanks,
s7

2. rc.local equivalent on Solaris 2.4 SPARC

3. Why are some packages installed in all zones for Solaris 10, but some packages are not ?

4. how to exclude some webseites from linux squid proxy ?

5. Package exclude when creating a Solaris 10 Zone

6. Unix for 386-PC / Information wanted

7. Problems with remove packages in non-global zone

8. tar

9. Filtering packages in zones?

10. which packages / files are installed in a new zone

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Custom package incomplete when new Solaris 10 zone is created

13. Creating a "zone" from another "zone" (from another "zone" (from another "zone" )) ...